Athletics Weekly | IAAF World Relays in Nassau, Bahamas, on April 22-23 - Athletics Weekly

IAAF World Relays in Nassau, Bahamas, on April 22-23

This topic contains 89 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of camerajuan camerajuan 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 90 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of robo2
    robo2
    Participant

They’ve decided not to bother with the 4×2.

Weather not very Bahamian

it is a bit of a pointless event in the eyes of british athletics, i was surprised they entered a team in the first place, i assume its because kilty is injured and they perhaps dont have enough cover? gemili looked like he injured himself yesterday but that could have just been an awkward running style to the end.

my preferred option would be to send a full team for every event as its maybe an international medal for people who will never win one otherwise. like the 4x 800

Profile photo of camerajuan
    camerajuan
    Participant

I’m utterly gutted about that 4×1, we had them. Ojie at full flight would have held off Gatlin & the British Record would have been very close I think. Gatlin cruised in with 38.4.

Very impressed with Laviai Nielsen yet again. Stunning to watch & you have to think that in peak season, that team would be good for 3:21/22ish.

Profile photo of stevek26
    SteveK26
    Participant

Without the evidence of the split times (which I haven’t seen) CO appeared to run a poor leg.
    I thought she was retiring, I guess she will bow out in London, (if she makes the team).

She has been such a great runner, I hate to see her struggle.

Profile photo of ladyloz
    Ladyloz
    Participant

Concerned about lack of depth in the men’s 4×4. We need some fresh blood to step up in the event this season as we cannot just rely on MHS, Delano & Rooney. And with 2 47sec splits those of us who questioned Theo Campbell’s selection were proven to be correct.

Emily Diamond & Laviai Nielson looked great & Eilidh as solid as ever. TBO wheelbarrow was out in full force on anchor. Hopefully her & Onuora will improve in form later in the season & SBD makes a return to form after her Rio disappointment.

SteveK26
    Participant

Concerned about lack of depth in the men’s 4×4. We need some fresh blood to step up in the event this season as we cannot just rely on MHS, Delano & Rooney. And with 2 47sec splits those of us who questioned Theo Campbell’s selection were proven to be correct.

Difficult to see where that ‘fresh blood’ might come from.
    Tom Somers, maybe, or one of the 200 boys moving up. I don’t see many outstanding 400 juniors at the moment.
    Early days though, the season has barely started yet.
    Rooney, MHS and Delano Williams are likely to form a very solid 3/4 of the team. Just need a couple more…..

Profile photo of trevorp
    trevorp
    Participant
    Profile photo of

Found the meet boring; far too early for many countries and only the USA seemed that bothered with winning.
    This time of the year is a waste for all except the Caribbean countries and the \usa whose season is well advanced.
    The idea that Poland is a better 4x400m team than Jamaica is silly for me.
    The British performances demand of me a sympathetic silence, sadly!!!

I rather doubt that London 2017 is going to be any sort of replica of London 2012.There is always Mo,I suppose.

SteveK26
    Participant

Those splits, Trevor, confirm what the eye told us. CO is bang out of form.

Profile photo of jeremy1066
    Jeremy1066
    Participant

Agree that we are lacking calibre in men’s 400. Caddick seems like one potential addition – if current form is anything to go by. Somers yet to prove himself, despite the injury. Yes, he had a good 200m showing in a junior champs back in 2014, but when you see what young 400 runners around he world are delivering right now…

Profile photo of sidelined
    sidelined
    Participant

Jack Green has always been a good relay runner. I think it was a mistake to drop him from funding for this year. He’s one of those people who runs faster in the relay than you’d expect from his 400 PB.

Profile photo of ladyloz
    Ladyloz
    Participant

Seb Rodger ran a 400 PB indoors so I think either of those 2 could feature in the relay.

camerajuan
    Participant

Jack Green has always been a good relay runner. I think it was a mistake to drop him from funding for this year. He’s one of those people who runs faster in the relay than you’d expect from his 400 PB.

100%. He’s like the modern day Jamie Baulch but without the amazing hairdo.

camerajuan
    Participant

Those splits, Trevor, confirm what the eye told us. CO is bang out of form.

Standard really. It’s not even May yet & she always peaks for majors. Last year was the first time in 5 years that her SB wasn’t set at the big champs of the year – & even then it was only 0.17 off.

She’ll improve, but you have to question will she improve enough to justify her selection over others.

Profile photo of ladyloz
    Ladyloz
    Participant

She got the benefit of the doubt from the selectors last year which was understandable given her record. I think she’ll need to earn it this year.

camerajuan
    Participant

She got the benefit of the doubt from the selectors last year which was understandable given her record. I think she’ll need to earn it this year.

Oh I totally agree. She was our fastest 400m runner last year though, but this year will be the telling one.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 90 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Product Reviews View All
Don't Miss
Videos
AW Offers