Athletics Weekly | Funding 2017/2018 - Athletics Weekly

Funding 2017/2018

This topic contains 35 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of carofoomy Carofoomy 1 hour, 57 minutes ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of ladyloz
    Ladyloz
    Participant

Looks like the latest funding announcements are due imminently. According to the documents on the British Athletics website the meetings were held last week and the announcements due this week.

http://www.uka.org.uk/world-class/wcpp-selection/

Will give everyone something new to rant about I’m sure.

Profile photo of mrme
    MrMe
    Participant

I expect even more sprinters than usual to be funded on “relay potential” at the expense of middle distance and long distance runners.

Profile photo of ladyloz
    Ladyloz
    Participant

I expect even more sprinters than usual to be funded on “relay potential” at the expense of middle <span class=”vm-hook-outer vm-hook-default”><span class=”vm-hook” style=”color: rgb(0, 153, 0); border-color: transparent transparent rgb(0, 153, 0);”>distance</span><span class=”vm-hook-icon” style=”display: inline-block;”></span></span> and long distance runners.

Reading selection document there is supposed to be a maximum of 8 for each relay now and that includes the likes of Dina & Adam who are on Podium funding as individuals

Profile photo of justrunfast
    justrunfast
    Participant

I expect even more sprinters than usual to be funded on “relay potential” at the expense of middle distance and long distance runners.

You do realise GB won a gold and sliver at the last world championships right?

Profile photo of sidelined
    sidelined
    Participant

They kept Kilty. And dumped HAA. They dropped Shara Proctor, who was in a car accident before the trials, but kept Nigel Levine. NMB is only on relay funding. The usual inconsistencies.

Profile photo of runningfree
    runningfree
    Participant

I thought the same about people ‘only’ being on relay funding but actually its the same as individual funding (whether podium or potential). This is from the UKA website selection policy:

WCP Level APA amount (individual) APA amount (relay)

Podium A 28,000 28,000
    Podium B 21,500 21,500

Potential C 15,000 15,000
    Potential D 9,000 9,000
    Potential E 7,000 N/A

The top level relay podium is for medallists so I’d be surprised if Zharnel is getting more than NMB, Talbot or Ujah.

sidelined
    Participant

Good point, Runningfree.

I really think Jack Green deserved to be on relay funding after saving the team’s bacon in London. And no funding for PSD. Or Jess Judd, after a stellar comeback year.

Profile photo of sovietvest
    sovietvest
    Participant

I love the comments by HAA, who you’d rather hope had realised how lucky he was to have been in receipt of relay funding all these years. He’s appealing and refers to his never having missed practice and his willingness to run any leg. If those are the criteria I wonder why I’ve never been approached. I’m up for warm weather training and am equally poor on every leg.

Profile photo of craigj
    craigj
    Participant

Thought Pozzi might have got bumped up, he was very disappointing in London which probably cost him. His PB would have won a medal and he’s in a similar boat to the likes of Sharp, Ugen & Bradshaw, there or thereabouts with their PB’s, and then it’s about what happens on the day.

Nothing again for Laura Weightman either, she probably excelled herself with her 6th in London and is unlikely to win a medal at world level, but you could have said a similar thing about Hannah England and look what happened. It’s a bit unfair sometimes when you can be a mediocre relay runner and get funding every year yet someone like Laura gets nothing

Profile photo of geoff
    geoff
    Participant

I thought this to be really interesting:

Jess Varnish: Former British Olympian suing UK Sport & British Cycling
    …If her lawyers successfully argue that she did have employee status, the case could have major ramifications for all contracted British athletes who are funded by UK Sport.

If they are officially deemed to be employees, UK Sport would have to pay pension and national insurance costs. This is currently avoided because athletes are not regarded as members of staff.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/41939678

• This reply was modified 1 week, 2 days ago by Profile photo of geoff geoff.
    Profile photo of carterhatch
    carterhatch
    Participant

perhaps, given the challenge by Ms. Varnish, and recent revelations on the BBC about tax havens, governing bodies should encourage athletes to set up overseas tax avoiding vehicles and just loan them their funds… (all rather tongue in cheek in case anyone doesn’t get the irony) … but please, someone explain to me why there are far more Paralympic athletes on a podium level (yes, I can see there is a stack of non-paralympic on ‘relay’ funding)

Now it makes sense why PSD has had to resort to, in my view, an premature dabble with the celebrity merry go round…

Profile photo of sovietvest
    sovietvest
    Participant

How do Sarah McDonald and Katie Snowdon get funded ahead of the faster, younger, Jess Judd? Something to do with her coaching set up???

I wonder if PSD turned down a place so she could do DOI. Not sure what criteria would see Seren Bundy-Davis selected ahead of her.

Profile photo of mrme
    MrMe
    Participant

I wouldn’t give any funding to relay runners. Just fund sprinters who deserve it for the individual events.

Its not fair, as long/middle distance runners and field athletes don’t have team medals in their events, which would enable them to get funding through the back door.

Profile photo of trevorp
    trevorp
    Participant

The last time Ashleigh Nelson had anything like a full season was 2014. How on earth does she get funding but Jess Judd doesn’t?

Profile photo of nickp3445
    Nickp3445
    Participant

SBD had a serious injury (torn Achilles) last season so she couldn’t compete. If fit, she’ll be a major relay contender.

I’d have her and PSD in the squad personally.

Profile photo of stevek26
    SteveK26
    Participant

There are so many holes in this funding document, and so many unfair decisions, that commenting on it is almost a waste of time.

I would have cut para funding radically in favour of able-bodied sport.

I’m sad at how badly UK Athletics is serving our sport.

On the subject of Jess Varnish I have made numerous posts on UK Swimming forum, so won’t repeat them here. Other than to say that the ramifications of her claim are only relevant should she win. I can’t see that happening.

Profile photo of 200sprint
    200sprint
    Participant

Cannot believe Jasmin Sawyer is still on funding. Is she really world medal potential especially after this season? Will Kilty ever be running in the realy team?

Profile photo of philipo
    philipo
    Participant

Did one expect anything else from the selectors of the funded athletes; just the usual inconsistencies and puzzling choices.

Profile photo of philipo
    philipo
    Participant

25 athletes on Relay Funding…. quite crazy!!

sidelined
    Participant

I wonder if Jess Judd turned down an offer of funding because she wanted to be outside the system? Otherwise I can’t see any reason why MacDonald and Snowden should be funded and she should not.

Guy Learmonth doesn’t seem too happy. Here are a couple of tweets from him:

Wrong coach. Wrong set up. Wrong environment. Clearly. Had the greatest year ever, surpassed all your criteria, I have no track, no gym, nothing, I self-fund everything. I’ve embarrassed your whole system.

If I was still in Loughborough, I wouldn’t be writing this. That’s a fact. The lack of vision, corruption and nepotism is beyond me. See you all later. Thanks for the cheese.🧀

In the 1500, the one man who made the final isn’t funded, and the man who didn’t make the team is funded. UKA work in mysterious ways.

sidelined
    Participant

Tweet from Jess Judd:

Thought it best to just explain that I was offered funding but chose to turn it down! Thanks for all the supportive tweets though, means a lot! Now just to get back to the main task of running as best I can 😊🏃🏽‍♀️

Profile photo of ladyloz
    Ladyloz
    Participant

I love the comments by HAA, who you’d rather hope had realised how lucky he was to have been in receipt of relay funding all these years. He’s appealing and refers to his never having missed practice and his willingness to run any leg. If those are the criteria I wonder why I’ve never been approached. I’m up for warm weather <span class=”vm-hook-outer vm-hook-default”><span class=”vm-hook” style=”color: rgb(0, 153, 0); border-color: transparent transparent rgb(0, 153, 0);”>training</span><span class=”vm-hook-icon” style=”display: inline-block;”></span></span> and am equally poor on every leg.

And free trips to the Bahamas.

I think some athletes need to be reminded that funding is a privilege not a right.

Profile photo of ladyloz
    Ladyloz
    Participant

Tweet from Jess Judd:

Thought it best to just explain that I was offered funding but chose to turn it down! Thanks for all the supportive tweets though, means a lot! Now just to get back to the main task of running as best I can 😊🏃🏽‍♀️

I wonder what her reasons were. Not exactly a ringing endorsement of the ‘system’ when a young athlete would prefer to operate outside and forego benefits such as ££ & medical support.

Overall the usual smattering of odd decisions mixed with some sound ones.

Kilty remaining on funding is odd,felt sure he would be shown the door alonwithHarry AA. And why is Miguel Francis funded when he hasn’t run for GB?

Personally I feel that sprinters should mostly justify their funding at individual level whether that is Podium/Potential. Maybe only a handful at most should be funded for relays.

Glad to see Callum’s 4th place in London has been rewarded, along with Dewi’s sub 2.10 debut. NMB perhaps hard done by to not be funded individually. No issues with Nick Miller being promoted to podium funding.

justrunfast
    Participant

Some of you are chronic whingers and haven’t read the selection policy. Four relay medals at the world champs relay funding is justified for the first time in years and you still complain.

If you are wondering why there are so many relay funded athletes and not individual…..

There will no longer be individual funding at levels C, D or E for 100m, 200m or 400m runners. Such individuals
    will only be eligible for relay funding at these levels, or if they qualify for individual membership at A or B.

Have a read if you haven’t a lot of the complaints and comments above will make more sense….

Funding policy

Only reason I can think Kilty is still on relay funding is because he is a very good first leg runner whereas HAA is maybe third choice of his preferred legs….

justrunfast
    Participant

Also Learmouth has been treated completely unfair and he is right if he was still in Loughborough he would be funded, which is extremely hypocritical when you think a lot of our athletes have gone abroad to seek better options.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Product Reviews View All
Don't Miss
Videos
AW Offers