Athletics Weekly | DIAMOND Zurich 24aug17 - Athletics Weekly

DIAMOND Zurich 24aug17

This topic contains 30 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of stevek26 SteveK26 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of stevek26
    SteveK26
    Participant

‘Treaclegate’

LOL

I don’t think there was any malice at all in Ursus’s comment. If anything I took the remark as a compliment to Thompson.

Profile photo of sovietvest
    sovietvest
    Participant

‘Treaclegate’

LOL

I don’t think there was any malice at all in Ursus’s comment. If anything I took the remark as a compliment to Thompson.

I agree – that’s how I took it as well. Give Ursus a break! ;-)

Let me deflect attention away from Ursus by saying I thought it was a schoolgirl error by Neita. I can understand her loss of form when Thompson appeared on her shoulder, but forgetting to dip was pretty poor.

Let Dipgate commence .. .. . .

Profile photo of irishman
    irishman
    Participant

I don’t know whether to feel delighted or not that Mo has had battles on his hands in the last two (meaningful) races which seem to have won him admiration from some quarters that wasn’t previously there.
    For some reason it seems that the previous history of his performances was deemed “too good” to be appreciated, but when his performances have seen his fast final 400m challenged (perhaps as he’s lost a couple of tenths of outright speed) it seems plenty have been more endeared to him!
    It’s as if those who weren’t quite as enthusiastic during his “golden” period are more impressed with him now his performance has dropped off. I’ve said for a while that the athletics community, and the public at large, have been guilty of taking him for granted, and it’s bizarre that it seems to have taken less good performances to reverse that a little! You don’t know what you’ve got til it’s gone seems to ring true!

It’s the Steve Davis paradox – widely disliked in his unbeatable pomp, he ended up much loved as he declined – it’s part of the human condition, we warm to frailty, because it makes the frail more human, more ‘us’ rather than them.

I’m sure Mo would rather have won the World, rather than his first (and last) Diamond League title (itself a nice little accolade, even for Mo), but there was a magnificence to the narrative of the end of this chapter for Farah. Finally, after all these years, finally bested by the African platoons, the old gunslinger decided to go out on his shield, with one last crack to beat the man who’d broken him in London, and in those final moments, Farah “showed these ‘men of will’ what will truly was”.

A word also for Sally Pearson, that hardest, flintiest, most cussed piece of Aussie timber.

As For CJ Ujah, only these men have EVER won the Diamond League title at 100. Bolt, Gay, Powell, Gatlin. Perhaps he was lucky that De Grasse wasn’t there, and Coleman didn’t have the points, and Bolt was injured. Perhaps. But while the Diamond League is the League Cup of global titles, it IS a global title, perhaps more so now there’s a final race to win. And it’s a hell of a scalp for a young 23 yo. And in many ways, no doubt, a relief to the ALTIS set up which injured a difficult World Champs, and indeed season.

SteveK26
    Participant

I pretty much agree with all of that Irishman.

Those of us who know the true value of what Mo Farah achieved will miss him on the track.

The only bit I don’t agree with was the bit about where you say he was finally ‘bested’ by the African platoons. He still ended up with gold and silver, and the guy who won the 5000 didn’t run the 10,000.
    Under the circumstances his 5000 performance was one of his best. Even De Grasse failed to win both his events, and he is also one of the most talented athletes we have ever seen.

Hopefully Sally Pearson will be around to annoy the Americans for a while longer.

Profile photo of jeremy1066
    Jeremy1066
    Participant

Justrunfast – I understand your comments, as I see them coming from an athlete’s perspective. Shame, the self appointed founding fathers of this forum seem to love a bit of cheap titillation – especially when egged on. But then again, quotes such as “…those of us who know the true value of Mo Farah will miss him on the track…” make a strong case for cringegate.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by Profile photo of jeremy1066 jeremy1066.
    SteveK26
    Participant

Justrunfast – I understand your comments, as I see them coming from an athlete’s perspective. Shame, the self appointed founding fathers of this forum seem to love a bit of cheap titillation – especially when egged on. But then again, quotes such as “…those of us who know the true value of Mo Farah will miss him on the track…” make a strong case for cringegate.

Please elaborate, Jeremy1066. How are you interpreting what I said, preferably in the context in which I wrote it?
    ‘Cringegate’ ? !!!!!

‘self-appointed founding fathers of this forum seem to love a bit of cheap titillation’

You are speaking in riddles, what on earth are you going on about?

Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Product Reviews View All
Don't Miss
Videos
AW Offers