Athletics Weekly | DIAMOND Zurich 24aug17 - Athletics Weekly

DIAMOND Zurich 24aug17

This topic contains 30 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of stevek26 SteveK26 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of dpickup
    dpickup
    Participant

Provisional entry lists
    see
    https://zurich.diamondleague.com/en/programme-results-zurich/#baseFrame#outputs/results/iaaf/atResults/js/mappings/schedule#ScheduleInit#CURRENTEVENT_JSON

Men’s 5000: will this be the event of the night? at 2114h
    Forget the watch, just watch the finishing tape.

Muktar Edris ’94 ETH
    12 54.83 ’14 1st PB 46 all-time list
    13.00 30 ’15 6th
    12.59.43 ’16 1st
    12.55.23 ’17 1st
    He’s no slouch – he wins races too.

Mo Farah ’83 GBR
    12:53.11 ’11 PB 31st all-time list
    12:56.98 ’12
    13:05.88 ’13
    13:23.42 ’14
    13:11.77 ’15
    12:59.29 ’16
    13:00.70 ’17
    He’s a winner.

Profile photo of dpickup
    dpickup
    Participant
    Profile photo of sovietvest
    sovietvest
    Participant

Provisional entry lists
    see
    https://zurich.diamondleague.com/en/programme-results-zurich/#baseFrame#outputs/results/iaaf/atResults/js/mappings/schedule#ScheduleInit#CURRENTEVENT_JSON

Men’s 5000: will this be the event of the night? at 2114h
    Forget the watch, just watch the finishing tape.

There’s just a chance that we will need to look at the stopwatch. Paul Chelimo is by all accounts in great form. If he has any sense, he must know that trying to outkick Mo and the Ethiopians is a long shot. Might he run hard, like he did in the Trials? If he does, both him and Mo could break NRs.
    I think that would be the best scenario for Mo as well. I think both Kejelcha and Edris have a faster top speed than Mo – he was powerless to hold Kejelcha off when he kicked at the bell in London – so his old tactic of getting in the lead in the last 1k and staying there is hard to deploy.

Profile photo of dpickup
    dpickup
    Participant

SovietVest
    Thanks for that. If there is a sniff at records then that adds another dimension to the race, besides the tactical drama, an aspect which I always appreciate.

Profile photo of dpickup
    dpickup
    Participant

Mo over Edris here in Zurich 0.04
    Gatlin over Bolt in London 0.03
    It was that sort of closeness

sovietvest
    Participant

Mo was magnificent!!! I’m actually now pleased he lost in London because it created that amazing moment last night. What a way to end a career. There were three guys all physically better than him last night but a combination of tactical nous, courage, indomitable will and ability to withstand pain brought him victory.
    The moment when he found an extra gear to hold off Kejelcha at the end of the back straight will live long in my memory. What a man.

(And Crammy’s commentary – as ever – was worthy of the moment).

Profile photo of stevek26
    SteveK26
    Participant

Mo was magnificent!!! I’m actually now pleased he lost in London because it created that amazing moment last night. What a way to end a career. There were three guys all physically better than him last night but a combination of tactical nous, courage, indomitable will and ability to withstand pain brought him victory.
    The moment when he found an extra gear to hold off Kejelcha at the end of the back straight will live long in my memory. What a man.

(And Crammy’s commentary – as ever – was worthy of the moment).

I watched late last night, and am surprised there are so few comments on here.

Mo’s will to win got him to the line first. Dramatic finish to his track career with bodies crashing to the floor all around him. Those guys wanted to take Mo’s scalp, (it was their last chance to get it), and they failed.
    Mo has finished an all-time great on the track, and lets see what he does on the roads.

Nice to see Ujah get a win and a sub 10.00.

Pearson seems to have the same determination to win as Mo. Gutsy win from her.

SteveK26
    Participant

Whats happened to Prescod? I don’t think he has run post London has he?

I would have loved to see him run a 200 this year, but it doesn’t look likely now.

Profile photo of dpickup
    dpickup
    Participant

Good that Chelimo was disqualified in the M 5000, pulling on Mo a metre or so from the finish to try and lever himself past Mo. Nearly as bad a FB match at the end, but Mo prevailed.
    And otherwise just 1 WL in the W stch – lots of tired athletes, many likely going thro the motions – but not in the M 5000!!!

Profile photo of larkim
    larkim
    Participant

I don’t know whether to feel delighted or not that Mo has had battles on his hands in the last two (meaningful) races which seem to have won him admiration from some quarters that wasn’t previously there.
    For some reason it seems that the previous history of his performances was deemed “too good” to be appreciated, but when his performances have seen his fast final 400m challenged (perhaps as he’s lost a couple of tenths of outright speed) it seems plenty have been more endeared to him!
    It’s as if those who weren’t quite as enthusiastic during his “golden” period are more impressed with him now his performance has dropped off. I’ve said for a while that the athletics community, and the public at large, have been guilty of taking him for granted, and it’s bizarre that it seems to have taken less good performances to reverse that a little! You don’t know what you’ve got til it’s gone seems to ring true!

sovietvest
    Participant

I don’t know whether to feel delighted or not that Mo has had battles on his hands in the last two (meaningful) races which seem to have won him admiration from some quarters that wasn’t previously there.
    For some reason it seems that the previous history of his performances was deemed “too good” to be appreciated, but when his performances have seen his fast final 400m challenged (perhaps as he’s lost a couple of tenths of outright speed) it seems plenty have been more endeared to him!
    It’s as if those who weren’t quite as enthusiastic during his “golden” period are more impressed with him now his performance has dropped off. I’ve said for a while that the athletics community, and the public at large, have been guilty of taking him for granted, and it’s bizarre that it seems to have taken less good performances to reverse that a little! You don’t know what you’ve got til it’s gone seems to ring true!

Your observations are spot on!! Maybe it’s human nature, maybe it’s a British thing but we only appreciate our sportspeople on the decline. Watch Wayne Rooney become a national treasure this year.

I agree he’s dropped off slightly, but he ran a 52.6 last 400 last night in a reasonably paced race – he hasn’t lost too much.

Yes, people have taken him for granted. For my part, I felt that he has only ever been slightly better than the opposition – which actually makes his achievements all the more amazing because he won those straight 10 champs with very little margin for error (particularly in the 5000s).

It’s been a privilege watching him over the years.

Profile photo of mysterybrick
    MysteryBrick
    Participant

Yes, people have taken him for granted. For my part, I felt that he has only ever been slightly better than the opposition – which actually makes his achievements all the more amazing because he won those straight 10 champs with very little margin for error (particularly in the 5000s).

With you on that. His consistency in putting himself in the right place and mental strength when it has mattered have been some of the most astounding things for me.

Profile photo of larkim
    larkim
    Participant

Absolutely SV – I tried to put that into words but failed. His triumph has been the consisency in winning over an extended period of time when he has only *just* been the best on the track that day (and sometimes no doubt when he perhaps wasn’t the best on the track too). That’s a remarkable achievement, and one of the reasons why I particularly enjoy MD to long distance racing where it isn’t just about the outright performance, its about how you beat the opposition.
    I do hope that his comments about not competing for GB again were a mis-speak meaning referring to track racing only. Despite his London marathon performance, he has potential to medal in Olympic and World Champs marathons if he can get the tactics sorted and whilst there’s a career as a world marathon majors competitor to be had too, I suspect he’d be far better in the heat of competition rather than the time trial situation that the WMMs so often are.

sovietvest
    Participant

Yes- I can’t see him getting anywhere close to winning a paced WMM but a championship race would be an all together different proposition.

I’m sure he can land a couple of big paydays in WMM but they would soon dry up if he was running 2:06 / 2:07, which is suspect is his limit. That long, bouncy stride doesn’t say ‘marathon’ to me. Geoffrey Kamworor on the other hand – he looks like a marathon WR breaker.

Profile photo of ladyloz
    Ladyloz
    Participant

Whats happened to Prescod? I don’t think he has run post London has he?

I would have loved to see him run a 200 this year, but it doesn’t look likely now.

He confirmed last week on twitter he is done for the season.

Hope he runs some 200s next year as I still think that will be his better distance.

Profile photo of dpickup
    dpickup
    Participant

SovietVest
    Interesting you describing Mo’s running: ‘long bouncy stride’.
    Until the last lap or two he looks so easy, relaxed, not over-striding and does he bounce more than others, more than he should? His ease of movement stands out from the rest of the field members. Surely that reflects efficiency.

And so to the final bit: how co’ordinated and strong and effective his arm action, is along with his legs going up a gear, and then up another gear, and finally his top gear in the home straight – or something like that.

He’s gradually got faster with his 5 HM’s. He done 1 MAR. Surely now, with these events his focus he will improve – considerably? a lot? Certainly be with the 2.04 – 2.04 runners?

A friend who follows tennis, but particularly athletics, and admires the fine technique of Federer, and said of Mo ‘he runs like a deer’!

sovietvest
    Participant

DPickup,
    I recall the first thing Salazar addressed with Mo was his overstriding but I still think compared to most Marathon runners he has a long stride. You’re right – he runs very efficiently – but I think ‘efficiency’ for a 10k track runner is different to ‘efficiency’ for a marathon.

We’ll see – I hope you’re right and he’s competitive. He’s proved me wrong time and time again!

Profile photo of treadwater1
    treadwater1
    Participant

I’m starting to think Shaunae Miller is better over the 200. To run like that after after doubling up at the WCs was very impressive. I can understand why she treats it as her second event, over the last few years other than Felix there’s been very little competition over the quarter mile. I think if she focused on it solely she’d have the beating of Thompson and Schippers but you can never be sure what form Bowie will be in.

Profile photo of ursus
    Ursus
    Participant

Very good run from Ujah. Both his legal sub 10s this year have been winning DLs. Hopefully he can start translating that into champs. 9.9x is now good enough for medals again.

Compared to Thompson, Nieta looked like she was running in treacle.

Profile photo of justrunfast
    justrunfast
    Participant

Compared to Thompson, Nieta looked like she was running in treacle.

Awful comment, there is 0.4 between there PBs what did you expect?

Profile photo of jeremy1066
    Jeremy1066
    Participant

I think the treacle comment is a bit off, too. I was impressed that Neita managed to distance herself from the German (who has a quicker PB). Toward the line, she maintained good form. With experience and good coaching, I expect her to come through as one of our stand-out sprinters. It was also not a 5 metre head start for Neita. Especially if you look at the markings. I agree, with the PB difference, a great performance.

SteveK26
    Participant

Lets hope this young squad stays healthy. Clearly they are well drilled, and there is a lot of talent.
    We just scraped through this year in terms of fitness; Dina made it at the eleventh hour and Desiree must have had injury issues. Ashleigh Nelson was struck down yet again.
    But next year there could be one or two newcomers knocking on the door as well. And Lanisquot hopefully will get a full season in.

Profile photo of luckyspikes
    LuckySpikes
    Participant

From the European Athletics website – Ten of the best: Mo Farah’s memorable track moments

Profile photo of ursus
    Ursus
    Participant

To clarify treaclegate.

The way the race panned out made it a straight foot race between them on clear track, so it’s natural to compare them. Which is unfair in the sense that one’s a promising youngster, the other an Olympic champion, but totally legitimate in the sense they were direct competitors.

I used the word “looked” meaning exactly that. To the naked eye Thompson’s rapid cadence makes others “look” sluggish even if they’re moving at the same speed, which in this case they clearly weren’t. I stand by the sentiments if not the choice of words.

Profile photo of justrunfast
    justrunfast
    Participant

You can stand by it if you like still in poor taste especially as that is the third fastest time GB women have ever run

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Product Reviews View All
Don't Miss
Videos
AW Offers