Athletics Weekly | Commonwealth Games Selections - Athletics Weekly

Commonwealth Games Selections

This topic contains 75 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of carterhatch carterhatch 6 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 76 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of ladyloz
    Ladyloz
    Participant

Just thought I’d start a thread as the England Team should be announced at some point this week.

Link to the selection document below. With a maximum quota of 75 athletes I suspect there will be some talking points.

https://www.englandathletics.org/commonwealth-games

Profile photo of ladyloz
    Ladyloz
    Participant

The Welsh selection will be confirmed in January – they have a limit of 108 across all individual sports

http://www.welshathletics.org/news–media/news/news-area/2016/july-2016/welsh-athletics-–-2018-commonwealth-games-nomination-policy-released.aspx

Scotland team will be named in February although the athletics team nominations will be made in November

Gold Coast 2018 Selection Policy

And finally the Northern Ireland Team athletics nominations took place on 1st October with final team announcement due in December.

http://athleticsni.org/Athletes/Competition-Opportunities/Selection-Policies-Overview/Commonwealth-Games-2018

All a bit complicated.

Profile photo of geoff
    geoff
    Participant

I believe Dai Greene is planning to race down under to try and make the Welsh team. He has until the end of November to achieve the A standard of 49.50.

Profile photo of larkim
    larkim
    Participant

https://www.englandathletics.org/england-athletics-news/commonwealth-games-england-athletics-squad-for-2018-games-announced#

Announced today.

Breakdown of events covered (seems highly weighted towards field events and relays)
    Mens
    Sprints – 6
    Middle – 5
    Hurdles – 3
    Walks – 2
    Field – 12
    Multis – 2
    Marathon – 0
    Relay spec – 5

Womens
    Sprints – 4
    Middle – 8
    Hurdles – 2
    Walks – 1
    Field – 12
    Multis – 3
    Marathon – 2
    Relay spec – 8

• This reply was modified 9 months, 3 weeks ago by Profile photo of larkim larkim.
    Profile photo of larkim
    larkim
    Participant

Johnny Mellor is particularly aggrieved I think. Capping the places at 75 would always mean some tough choices, but I’m not 100% convinvced of the split between the field events and the track. It’s unfair to pick on anyone in particular, but if we’re sending a message to the public of England about what sports are important and capture the zeitgeist, I’d suggest that the volumes of people running marathons week in week out should count for something when compared with niche sports like TJ and Hammer.

Profile photo of ladyloz
    Ladyloz
    Participant

Given that a lot of the British Middle Distance & Distance talent is Scottish it’s not really surprising that the team is a bit thin there. Field event medals are easier to come by in the Commonwealths so that makes sense.

No CJ Ujah, Daryl Neita or Reece Prescod in the sprints – presumably a decision guided by Jonas Dodoo. I note they have said that some people may be added to individual events & I hope Dwayne Cowan and Finette Agyepong in particular get this opportunity.

Good to see some up & coming talent like Tom Gale & Niamh Emerson but no Alicia Barrett?

• This reply was modified 9 months, 3 weeks ago by Profile photo of ladyloz ladyloz.
    Profile photo of stevek26
    SteveK26
    Participant

The England squad and its glaring omissions leaves me a bit perplexed.

Apart from Ujah, Neita and Prescod (as mentioned by Ladyloz above) where are Shannon Hylton, Laviai Nielsen, the triple jumpers Ogbeta and Samuel ?

Why is Edoburun denied selection again? And couldn’t Maya Bruney have been rewarded for her fine efforts as a junior last year?

There are others, but before this turns into a rant I guess I should wait to discover if a lot of these athletes have expressed a desire NOT to be selected.

Profile photo of stevek26
    SteveK26
    Participant

….keep everything crossed that Ashleigh Nelson arrives on the Gold Coast fit and well for once.

Profile photo of runningfree
    runningfree
    Participant

The England <span class=”vm-hook-outer vm-hook-default”><span class=”vm-hook” style=”color: rgb(0, 153, 0); border-color: transparent transparent rgb(0, 153, 0);”>squad</span><span class=”vm-hook-icon” style=”display: inline-block;”></span></span> and its glaring omissions leaves me a bit perplexed.

Apart from Ujah, Neita and Prescod (as mentioned by Ladyloz above) where are Shannon Hylton, Laviai Nielsen, the <span class=”vm-hook-outer vm-hook-default”><span class=”vm-hook” style=”color: rgb(0, 153, 0); border-color: transparent transparent rgb(0, 153, 0);”>triple</span><span class=”vm-hook-icon” style=”display: inline-block;”></span></span> jumpers Ogbeta and Samuel ?

Why is Edoburun denied selection again? And couldn’t Maya Bruney have been rewarded for her fine efforts as a junior last year?

There are others, but before this turns into a rant I guess I should wait to discover if a lot of these athletes have expressed a desire NOT to be selected.

Steve, Laivai has said it doesn’t fit into her plans. Not sure what Shannon has said, her sister is going so less sure there. The TJ’ers didn’t get the standard although neither did Ben Williams and he is ranked as high as Ogbeta. I think a lot of the main omissions are those of uni age and that may have affected a few decisions. Marc Scott has a pretty good reason to be upset. The limit of 75 does mean there were going to be some unlucky people however.

Profile photo of 200sprint
    200sprint
    Participant

Jasmin Sawyer, Megan Beesley, Charlie Grice?? With such a small team, how did they get selected whilst Shannon Hylton, Laviai Nielsen and Cowan are left out? They all had terrible season so should not have been selected infront of others. Selectors choosing their favourites?

Profile photo of robo2
    robo2
    Participant

Jasmin Sawyer, Megan Beesley, Charlie Grice?? With such a small team, how did they get selected whilst Shannon Hylton, Laviai Nielsen and Cowan are left out? They all had terrible season so should not have been selected infront of others. Selectors choosing their favourites?

i would say sawyer is our 4th best long jumper, but her record speaks for itself, she already has a commonwealth silver from 2014 as well as a euro silver from 2016agree with you the other 2

Profile photo of sidelined
    sidelined
    Participant

I think some 400-metre runners may be given individual slots later on.

For those athletes doing science degrees, like Shannon Hylton, it’s hard to take big chunks of time out, because you can’t catch up with Skype, you have to be working in the lab.

Apparently it’s the biggest England Commies team ever, so why has athletics’ number of places been cut?

The lack of men’s middle-distance selections does seem odd. I think Mellor does deserve to go because his PB is right in the medal zone at previous champs.

I’m surprised not to see Jack Green named in the relay, after his efforts in London. They could have left out Caddick, who disappointed at the trials in the summer, and given Mellor that slot.

Profile photo of treadwater1
    treadwater1
    Participant

Good to see some of the younger names going, Emerson, Caudery, Agyapong, Hague and Gale all deserving of the chance. Like others I was disappointed not to see the Bruney, Ogbeta, Barrett and Edoburun, I can only assume they have uni commitments.

Do they really need to take 250 staff to support 400 athletes, if the budget’s stretched thin surely it makes more sense to adjust the number of support staff

I wonder if KJT will do the indoor circuit if she’s committed to the heptathlon, though there is a month between the end of the world indoors and the start of the CWG

Profile photo of ladyloz
    Ladyloz
    Participant

The quotas are from the organising committee and the Commonwealth games Games Federation not from Team England. Other sports like swimming also have a strict quota & I have seen that Canada’s athletics team also has a quota of around 35.

Guess it’s down to reducing headcount as they’re struggling for viable bids outside of Britain and Australia which isn’t sustainable long term for the games.

Profile photo of justrunfast
    justrunfast
    Participant

Just a quick note before people start ranting, a few of the athletes named above have not been listed turned down selection.

With some choosing to go for world indoors and Europeans rather than CWG

Profile photo of larkim
    larkim
    Participant

Just one oddity – Ben Williams in TJ – I thought the selection quali criteria was 16m80, but he has only 16m73 in the quali period. Contrast with Johnny Mellor who has the time for the marathon but not selected.

Am I missing something? Is Williams ranked something daft like top 5 in the Commonwealth so gets a pick as he’s a medal contender instead?

Profile photo of ursus
    Ursus
    Participant

And time for my predictable rant. Which I’ll keep repeating until it’s no longer relevant.

Only two male throwers, both in the hammer, and no javelin throwers at all. Pathetic.

Profile photo of larkim
    larkim
    Participant

It’s definitely an odd set of selections. Here’s an extract from the selection policy:-

3.4 The Selection Panel will nominate individual athletes in THREE rounds as follows:
    Round 1: (Most realistic medal contenders)
    In the first round the Selection Panel will consider the following:
    3.4.2 For individual events, athletes who have:
    Achieved two or more standards during the Qualification Period
    3.4.3 For combined events, marathon, 20Km Walk, 10,000m and 5,000m, athletes who have:
    Achieved at least one standard during the Qualification Period
    3.4.4 Athletes who at the sole discretion of the Selection Panel represent an outstanding medal
    prospect at the Games, based on being a medallist at previous Global Championships, and have
    been injured and unable to perform to their best through the Qualification Period, may be
    considered for selection, subject to proving fitness to the satisfaction of the Selection Panel up to
    the final selection date.
    Round 2: (Relays)
    3.4.5 The selection panel may add athletes to the team to create relay squads for the men’s and
    women’s 4x100m and 4x400m at this stage. Relay runners do not need to hold the individual
    qualification guideline standard. Teams will be selected on the basis of medal potential as with
    individual selections.
    Round 3: (other realistic medal contenders)
    If, after round 2, there are still places available, the Selection Panel will consider the following:
    For individual events, athletes who:
    3.4.6 Hold one standard achieved during the Qualification Period.
    3.4.7 Other athletes deemed capable of a medal at the Head Coach’s absolute discretion
    3.4.8 Athletes already selected will be considered to double up in other events if in the Head Coach’s
    opinion this will not detract from their performance in other events, including the relays.

But then in those individual rounds, they apply this:-

3.2 The Selection Panel will select athletes in rounds as explained below. The Selection Panel will prioritise
    athletes they believe can realistically win a medal at the Games. In coming to this decision the Selection
    Panel will consider, in any order that they see fit, the following factors:
    ▪ The Commonwealth ranking lists at the time of the selection meeting;
    ▪ Each athlete’s consistency of performances within the stated qualification period;
    ▪ Each athlete’s previous National and International Championships performances;
    ▪ Head to Head performances within the stated qualification period; and
    ▪ Any other factor(s) which in the panel’s opinion will impact on an athlete’s ability to win a
    medal in the Games.

So basically they must be saying that athletes like Mellor who got the standard, and are therefore reviewed in round 1 must fail the selection tests in section 3.2 because they aren’t ranked highly enough in the CW, not been consistent, etc etc. So it means that if the selection bucket of 75 athletes is not filled after they have added these contextualising factors, they can then go down to the next rounds and consider athletes who don’t have the standard but perhaps are ranked highly in the CW.

Does anyone have an allathletics account which could clarify the CW rankings of some of the “lower quality” picks (e.g. Ben Williams) when compared with say Mellor etc.

Profile photo of foxyjarvis
    foxyjarvis
    Participant

Baffled by Prescod not going. He needs competition and championship experience, and as he’s not suited to indoors the CG would have provided that and a stepping stone to bigger things. He tweeted he started winter training on Oct 18, which since his last race was Aug 5, is a 10 week break. He finished the season healthy and I feel his racing programme needs looking at. He should do the CG and EC next year in preparation for 2019/20.

Profile photo of mbchristie
    MBChristie
    Participant

Williams is 9th (includes Fox and Douglas). He’s only 10cm behind the second best of 2017 – not too much to make up surly. He’s also a British champion that didn’t go to the World Champs, that could also have contributed to his selection.

That compares to Mellor who’s not in the top 150 in the commonwealth (3 Ken/Uga/Tan/RSA 2 Aus 1 Les/Sco = 16 who could be going who have run faster than him in 2017) – As he met the criteria laid down he should go.

Profile photo of larkim
    larkim
    Participant

Williams is 9th (includes Fox and Douglas). He’s only 10cm behind the second best of 2017 – not too much to make up surly. He’s also a British champion that didn’t go to the World Champs, that could also have contributed to his selection.

That compares to Mellor who’s not in the top 150 in the commonwealth (3 Ken/Uga/Tan/RSA 2 Aus 1 Les/Sco = 16 who could be going who have run faster than him in 2017) – As he met the criteria laid down he should go.

Despite wanting to see mens marathoners go to the Gold Coast, I don’t necessarily agree with the last bit – the quali standard is explicitly described as *not* being the only factor, so just getting the standard shouldn’t mean they definitely go.

The context is important though. Of the 150 faster than him, presumably the majority are East African commonwealth members, so are you saying that in the 3-per-country rankings he is ranked 16th overall? Or just that there are 16 easily identifiable athletes ahead of him, there may be more within the commonwealth nations? Even 16th though still falls into the range of being medal potential in the marathon though I’d reckon.

Equally I can see how an athlete ranked 9th in the commonwealth, and the reigning national champion, is probably a valid pick on the basis of being a realistic medal prospect.

Profile photo of sidelined
    sidelined
    Participant

A better measure than marathon rankings may be the times it took to win a medal in the last few Commies. According to a reference I saw on Twitter yesterday (but am too lazy to find) Mellor’s time would put him in or very close to the medals in the last few Games.

Of course Callum Hawkins will be there, so there is still British interest in the men’s marathon…

Profile photo of ladyloz
    Ladyloz
    Participant

But perhaps worth noting Mellor set his PB in a big City Autumn Marathon, Berlin a notoriously quick course. Very different compared to a championship race run in the Australian Summer.

Profile photo of 200sprint
    200sprint
    Participant

But the team was supposely selected from the 2017 performances so again I ask, why was Jasmin Sawyer selected? 2 long jumpers already selected so why have a third, depriving another athlete. It is clear to me that selectors have their favourites that is refelected by the selection. Afterall Beesley only got the standard once in 9 races in 2017.

Profile photo of robo2
    robo2
    Participant

sawyers has more chance of winning a medal than any of the people left out , based on a) the fact that she has already done so and b) the standard in field events being so low

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 76 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Product Reviews View All
Don't Miss
Videos
AW Offers