Athletics Weekly | Commonwealth Games day 2 - Athletics Weekly

Commonwealth Games day 2

This topic contains 19 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of rununlimited RunUnlimited 3 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of luckyspikes
    LuckySpikes
    Participant

Sadly, Gemili has withdrawn from the 100m final.

Very competitive heats (effectively semis) of the women’s 1500. Pretty swift too, especially the first one (sub-4:06 for Semenya). All of the Brits qualified from that heat, most as fastest losers. Great run by Steph Twell in the 2nd heat to qualify outright. Not such a good run by Sarah McDonald, run out of it in 5th. Surprising since she’s been in very good form in 2018. One of the medal favourites, Winny Chebet, is out having clipped Linden Hall’s heels and fallen in the home straight.

LuckySpikes
    Participant

An Indian, Yahiya, wins the 3rd 400m semi! High quality final despite Cedenio & Sibanda not qualifying.

Does anyone know why Guernsey’s country code is GGY? There’s only one G in Guernsey.
    Are GSY and GNY already taken? I can’t think that they are.

LuckySpikes
    Participant

Another poor performance by Beth Potter in a major champs. Saw it coming really, just sitting at the back of the pack. At 32:30 pace you should be getting yourself up in the top 5 or 6, get involved in the race, give yourself some confidence & make yourself feel like you’ve got a chance of being competitive.

Profile photo of treadwater1
    treadwater1
    Participant

Pozzi looked very impressive this morning, I’m still not sure about Levys big race temperament so I think Alkana will be the biggest threat having already had umpteen competitive races this year

Makwala ran well, it looks like he’ll deliver for once after so many poor performances in finals, I’d like to see the Indian guy get a medal after 2 good runs.

LuckySpikes
    Participant

Ah, Asha Philip just run out of a medal. At 80m it looked like she was in bronze.

Sarah McDonald has been advanced to the final, apparently hindered by Chebet’s fall. I’ve just watched it again and she’s extremely, extremely lucky. She wasn’t hindered at all, literally having to veer a few centimetres around Chebet and not having to break her stride.

Profile photo of larkim
    larkim
    Participant

Does anyone know why Guernsey’s country code is GGY? There’s only one G in Guernsey.

Maybe an overlap with airports as they aren’t taken by countries. GSY is (apparently!) Grimsby airport, though GNY doesn’t exist. GGY is the official code though according to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_3166-1_alpha-3 Intriguing though!
    On a similar vein, my 12 year old asked why in golf players are denominated by ENG / WAL / SCO / NIR etc when they aren’t playing for nations (i.e. its not an English “team” playing the Augusta Masters etc). I’d not thought about that before, but presumably is down to men in blazers making petty rules to keep themselves important, like the FA does.

Anyway, back to the CWG…

Profile photo of ladyloz
    Ladyloz
    Participant

Another poor performance by Beth Potter in a major champs. Saw it coming really, just sitting at the back of the pack. At 32:30 pace you should be getting yourself up in the top 5 or 6, get involved in the race, give yourself some <span class=”vm-hook-outer vm-hook-default”><span class=”vm-hook” style=”color: rgb(0, 153, 0); border-color: transparent transparent rgb(0, 153, 0);”>confidence</span><span class=”vm-hook-icon” style=”display: inline-block;”></span></span> & make yourself feel like you’ve got a chance of being competitive.

I guess doing the Triathlon individual and relay events the last few days Potter was never going to do anything much.

Good that all the home nation athletes made 1500 final, although I agree that MacDonald was very fortunate. After Semenya the minor medals are up for grabs.

Well done to Simbine – not sure why he was overlooked so much given he ran pretty well in the finals at the last Worlds & Olympics, not far behind Blake.

Profile photo of larkim
    larkim
    Participant

Blake may have stumbled out of the blocks a bit, but Sibine pulled away from Blake in the last 30-40m or so too. With an explosive start, Blake may have been able to hold him off but a fast finishing Simbine would have been right there.

Saw a nice comment from Judd about Semenya being supportive at the finish – nice to hear Semenya getting some love from at least one female athlete on the track!

Profile photo of mrme
    MrMe
    Participant

Blake may have stumbled out of the blocks a bit, but Sibine pulled away from Blake in the last 30-40m or so too. With an explosive start, Blake may have been able to hold him off but a fast finishing Simbine would have been right there.

Saw a nice comment from Judd about Semenya being supportive at the finish – nice to hear Semenya getting some love from at least one female athlete on the track!

I think most female athletes like Semenya and sympathize with her situation. However it doesn’t change the fact that whatever their personal talents and efforts, they can’t win against those levels of testosterone.

Profile photo of longstrider
    LongStrider
    Participant

Regarding Semenya (very briefly)

I genuinely think it’s like cutting off 3 inches off Usain’s legs because “it’s not fair he gets to produce such turnover at 6’5” – he’s superhuman, so is she – she has ridiculous levels of Testosterone… legally. It should slip well under the rules if you ask me.

Profile photo of philipo
    philipo
    Participant

Pozzi looked very impressive this morning, I’m still not sure about Levys big race temperament so I think Alkana will be the biggest threat having already had umpteen competitive races this year

Makwala ran well, it looks like he’ll deliver for once after so many poor performances in finals, I’d like to see the Indian guy get a medal after 2 good runs.

when I saw the indian had got to the final I was reminded of Milka Singh the fine indian 400m runner who ran so well in Rome OG 1960.

Profile photo of robo2
    robo2
    Participant

I genuinely think it’s like cutting off 3 inches off Usain’s legs because “it’s not fair he gets to produce such turnover at 6’5” – he’s superhuman, so is she – she has ridiculous levels of Testosterone… legally. It should slip well under the rules if you ask me.

you wont find many agreeing with you on here, i genuinely think its like allowing sharp or soc to inject themselves with anabolic steroids without any consequences but no one else is allowed to do it, its an absolute travesty to the sport and should never have been allowed to happen

Profile photo of occasionalhope
    OccasionalHope
    Participant

Ultimately it means that normal XX women would have no opportunity to compete at a top level.

Back to topic, Simbine ran very well in the 100, but what a missed opportunity for Gemili due to his injury ;(

Profile photo of trickstat
    trickstat
    Participant

Maybe an overlap with airports as they aren’t taken by countries. GSY is (apparently!) Grimsby airport, though GNY doesn’t exist. GGY is the official code though according to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_3166-1_alpha-3 Intriguing though!
    On a similar vein, my 12 year old asked why in golf players are denominated by ENG / WAL / SCO / NIR etc when they aren’t playing for nations (i.e. its not an English “team” playing the Augusta Masters etc). I’d not thought about that before, but presumably is down to men in blazers making petty rules to keep themselves important, like the FA does.

Anyway, back to the CWG…

It happens in many sports that official results show competitors countries when everyone is competing as an individual. The Diamond League is one example and I think Wimbledon is another

Profile photo of larkim
    larkim
    Participant

you wont find many agreeing with you on here, i genuinely think its like allowing sharp or soc to inject themselves with anabolic steroids without any consequences but no one else is allowed to do it, its an absolute travesty to the sport and should never have been allowed to happen

For the record, I agree with LongStrider on this one. But I acknowledge that it is a very complex issue. It may simply be beyond sport to be able to resolve it.

Profile photo of philipo
    philipo
    Participant

awful underperformance by Pozzi; perhaps that narrow win in Brum made us overestimate an athlete with a distinct temperament question ; a 13.29 followed in a final in 13.53 is one of the worst heat to final i’ve seen for some time and only two rounds.

Profile photo of larkim
    larkim
    Participant

He hit that first hurdle badly, and that set the tone. Shame for him as he knows he’s better than that and hasn’t done himself justice.

Profile photo of mysterybrick
    MysteryBrick
    Participant

awful underperformance by Pozzi; perhaps that narrow win in Brum made us overestimate an athlete with a distinct temperament question ; a 13.29 followed in a final in 13.53 is one of the worst heat to final i’ve seen for some time and only two rounds.

He won the World Indoors a month ago… yes, this was a bit crap and he messed up his race. It’s hurdles. It happens. Suggesting that this invalidates a world title is bollocks and you know it. I expect him to run 13.0x in the summer and likely win the Europeans (injury permitting of course).

Profile photo of mysterybrick
    MysteryBrick
    Participant

However, Sophie Hitchon with 3 no throws is not good enough. She could throw the 65.03m for Bronze in her sleep…

Profile photo of rununlimited
    RunUnlimited
    Participant

NOT a good day for the UK athletes on the track during the night session. Pozzi was unlucky to hammer that first hurdle, then the third one and never recovered from there.

Hitchon however was really poor overall in the hammer. Perhaps she thought she had the gold in her grasp before the competition began, but she just never got going in that final.

What I *do* know is that both she and Pozzi will be extra motivated now to show what they’ve got come the Euros in Berlin/Glasgow in the summer.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Product Reviews View All
Don't Miss
Videos
AW Offers