Athletics Weekly | Birmingham Grand Prix - Athletics Weekly

Birmingham Grand Prix

This topic contains 28 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of ursus Ursus 1 month, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of luckyspikes
    LuckySpikes
    Participant

I’m not sure the BBC could afford Tim Hutchings. I imagine he’s on a fair whack at Eurosport and NBC/USATF. Moving trackside would feel like a demotion anyway.

My bet is that they’ll give the job to Colin.

Profile photo of sidelined
    sidelined
    Participant

Jeanette Kwakye would be a good choice for trackside interviewer. She knows what she’s talking about and she’s good at getting athletes to relax.

Everyone was very critical of Sally Gunnell but I actually preferred, “Do you think you went out too hard in the first 200?” to, “Tell me how you feel.” Of course neither question is fair to an athlete still trying to catch their breath or get over a massive disappointment.

Profile photo of irishman
    irishman
    Participant

Phil’s always seemed quite (too) matey with the athletes. All well and good unless you’re a viewer hoping for those staples of the journalist’s role; impartiality and insight.

Good luck to Phil in whatever he does next, but I hope they now can the role altogether. Fat chance in this instant news age.

He wasn’t there as a journalist, but as a presenter. It’s a television production, it’s not the Old Bailey. People need to get their heads round the difference.

Profile photo of ursus
    Ursus
    Participant

He wasn’t there as a journalist, but as a presenter. It’s a television production, it’s not the Old Bailey. People need to get their heads round the difference.

However you describe him, the point is we learn nothing from his interviews; partly down to his style and partly down to the role itself. And the same goes for other sports where you get instant reaction.

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Product Reviews View All
Don't Miss
Videos
AW Offers