Athletics Weekly | Birmingham Grand Prix - Athletics Weekly

Birmingham Grand Prix

This topic contains 28 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of ursus Ursus 1 month, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of laps
    Laps
    Participant

It looks the best line-up seen at a Birmingham DL thanks to this year’s scheduling.
    Highlights mainly in the women’s events –
    W100m – Thompson, Schippers, Ta Lou
    W400m – Felix, Francis, Naser
    MShot – WC final rerun
    W400H – Muhammed, Tracey, Hejnova
    WTj – Rojas, Ibarguen, Rypakova (main stand in for a treat)
    WPv – Stefanidi, Morris, Silva, Peinado
    Barshim

Lots of GB interest – Dina especially, Mitchell-Blake v Guliyev v Makwala……….
    Several medal near-missers having another go.

Expecting to see plenty of World Champs form turned upside down.

Profile photo of occasionalhope
    OccasionalHope
    Participant

This run/walk thing is a bit of a silly gimmick imo.

Profile photo of mrme
    MrMe
    Participant

The BBC and British athletics seem keen to get Tom Bosworth into the spotlight. Shame they don’t just put on a walking race, like the one at the anniversary games.

OccasionalHope
    Participant

Good run by Wightman.

Profile photo of mrme
    MrMe
    Participant

Although a low caliber field that was great racing by Wightman. Thats two wins at diamond league events this season.

Profile photo of iain
    Iain
    Participant

Gemili false start – a great shame, I was looking forward to seeing what he could do

OccasionalHope
    Participant

I didn’t realise Phil was retiring too.

Profile photo of mrme
    MrMe
    Participant

Headline on BBC main website “Farah wins final track race” despite the quality of that field.

I will not miss the over-hype one bit.

Profile photo of craigj
    craigj
    Participant

Wonder who they’ll get to replace Phil Jones? I wondered for a moment if that’s why they shoe horned Ore Oduba in at London? Hope not as he’s straight from the Ortis Deeley school of presenting and is too narcissistic and prone to gaffes. Perhaps one of the other journalists like Sonja Mclaughlin?

Profile photo of trevorp
    trevorp
    Participant

I wondered for a moment if that’s why they shoe horned Ore Oduba in at London? Hope not as he’s straight from the Ortis Deeley school of presenting …

A tad unkind. I was unaware of Ore’s existence before hearing him stand in for someone on Radio 2 a few weeks ago, and was pleasantly surprised. He’s pure Light Entertainment-presenter cheese, rather old-fashioned – and none the worse for that. And at least he uses language as if he’s in control of his thoughts, so any comparison with Ortis is a bit much. I do agree that he’s not the ideal fit with athletics, though. My hope is that athlete interviews will be abandoned altogether.

Profile photo of craigj
    craigj
    Participant

In one stint he was talking about race walkers ‘running’ and had to be corrected by Crammy & Paula. He said ‘let’s go to the 10k’ when it was actually the 5k and signed off his presenting by saying ‘Goodnight’ in the middle of the afternoon. On that occasion it was very Ortis Deeley!

Profile photo of ursus
    Ursus
    Participant

With a couple of exceptions, predictably underwhelming. Love watching Barshim.

Profile photo of stevek26
    SteveK26
    Participant

Quite agree. At least Mo got a decent send off.

Nice touch when Eilidh Doyle presented Phil with a gift. I take back all the unkind remarks I’ve made about Phil. Seems like the athletes liked him. I wonder what the gift was?
    I didn’t have a clue he was going, either.

Replacement? Kath Merry, please.

Profile photo of ursus
    Ursus
    Participant

Phil’s always seemed quite (too) matey with the athletes. All well and good unless you’re a viewer hoping for those staples of the journalist’s role; impartiality and insight.

Good luck to Phil in whatever he does next, but I hope they now can the role altogether. Fat chance in this instant news age.

Profile photo of marcus
    Marcus
    Participant

Phil was fine in that he was a nice chap, and I guess he was a comforting presence to a lot of athletes, but I never liked the way he interviewed in that he never asked questions, he’d just make a statement and then stick a mic in their face.

Profile photo of iain
    Iain
    Participant

Phil was fine in that he was a nice chap, and I guess he was a comforting presence to a lot of athletes, but I never liked the way he interviewed in that he never asked questions, he’d just make a statement and then stick a mic in their face.

This. I’ll always remember his interview with Dafne Schippers (in the style described above), I think in 2015, and her total bemusement at the lack of question.

It’s irritating because he could ask vaguely interesting questions – e.g. asking sprinters about relays later in the week, or this meet about plans for next year – indoors? Commies?

OccasionalHope
    Participant

Barshim was the highlight of the day.

OccasionalHope
    Participant

Phil was infinitely better than Sally Gunnell when she had that job just after retiring as an athlete.

Profile photo of jjimbojames
    jjimbojames
    Participant

You’d hope that they might take the opportunity to reduce bodies elsewhere and move a pundit/commentator to that role – but they’d probably pick the wrong one!

To be fair to Phil, it’s clear the athletes do like him and I think the casual viewer seemed to, also. It’s only really those who are looking for more from the athletes that are frustrated by that role

Profile photo of ursus
    Ursus
    Participant

You’d hope that they might take the opportunity to reduce bodies elsewhere and move a pundit/commentator to that role – but they’d probably pick the wrong one!

You’d hope they’ll take the opportunity to revamp the whole team. Keeping Cram’s a no brainer and Minichello’s worth investing in – has opinions and is good for the field events in particular; adds far more insight than Backley (pains me to say that).

Paula can be OK, but never rated Denise or Colin. Johnson’s turned native and Gabby should stack up, but doesn’t. I’d put Dan Walker in to host – easy charm with a sport bias. Tim Hutchings could also be in the mix, but he’s more used to covering action than presenting montages so he’s probably ruled out. And then the whole editorial aspect needs a rethink.

I was unaware of Ore’s existence

Not a Strictly fan?

Profile photo of sovietvest
    sovietvest
    Participant

Quite agree. At least Mo got a decent send off.

Nice touch when Eilidh Doyle presented Phil with a gift. I take back all the unkind remarks I’ve made about Phil. Seems like the athletes liked him. I wonder what the gift was?
    I didn’t have a clue he was going, either.

Replacement? Kath Merry, please.

I’ve noticed over the years that almost all the athletes stop and have a long chat with Phil after the TV interview – he has a genuine rapport with most of them.

I really like Kath Merry – a national treasure – but she does tend to get a bit ‘Generation Game’ (even using the “Didn’t he do well!” catchprahse. Not sure she’s the best interviewer either. There was an excruciating interview with Guliyev yesterday when she asked him if he’d been home since the gold and what were the celebrations like? Which home would that be? Turkey or his original home that ostracised him for years? As the youth say: “Awks”.

Profile photo of sovietvest
    sovietvest
    Participant

We kept hearing rumours that Colin had been sacked a year or two ago. I have this theory that he’s no longer on the payroll but keeps turning up and no one has the heart to tell he “But Colin, you don’t work here any more”.

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by Profile photo of sovietvest sovietvest.
    Profile photo of treadwater1
    treadwater1
    Participant

You’d hope they’ll take the opportunity to revamp the whole team. Keeping Cram’s a no brainer and Minichello’s worth investing in – has opinions and is good for the field events in particular; adds far more insight than Backley (pains me to say that).

Paula can be OK, but never rated Denise or Colin. Johnson’s turned native and Gabby should stack up, but doesn’t. I’d put Dan Walker in to host – easy charm with a sport bias. Tim Hutchings could also be in the mix, but he’s more used to covering action than presenting montages so he’s probably ruled out. And then the whole editorial aspect needs a rethink.

I was unaware of Ore’s existence

Not a Strictly fan?

Keep Hutchings as far away as possible! I enjoy his passion on Eurosport but he comes across as misogynistic all to frequently and is generally un PC

The Phil Jones roll is perfect for Alison Curbishley, she already has good repoire with the athletes and is knowledgeable. I’d like to see Mike Costello involved in some capacity, his instinctive knowledge isn’t quite as good as some of the others but he offers good insights and does his research. I’ve enjoyed listening to TM over the summer but he does tend to analyse everything in sight

Profile photo of leadleg
    LeadLeg
    Participant

Personally I am hoping they do away with track side interviews. Only so many times you can listen to an orchestrated ‘I would like to thank the national lottery…”

Profile photo of felix
    felix
    Participant

Keep Hutchings as far away as possible! I enjoy his passion on Eurosport but he comes across as misogynistic all to frequently and is generally un PC.

[/quote]

Agree re Hutchings. Female athletes to him are forever “ladies”, as if they’re off to Wimbledon or Ascot in a big hat. “And now the ladies line up for the Ladies’ Shot Final”. I find him very patronising and hugely irritating.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Product Reviews View All
Don't Miss
Videos
AW Offers