Athletics Weekly | Birmingham 2022 - Athletics Weekly

Birmingham 2022

This topic contains 8 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of pegs Pegs 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of stevek26
    SteveK26
    Participant

The Department for Digital Media Culture and Sport confirm that they are backing Birmingham’s bid for the 2022 Commonwealth Games.

Is there actually a worse choice available within the UK to host ‘The Friendly Games’?

I doubt it. Birmingham has just about the worst crime figures of any city in the UK. Any posters live in Birmingham? If so, would you put your City forward? What does it have going for it?

Profile photo of treadwater1
    treadwater1
    Participant

What’s that based on Steve? To my knowledge the crime rate in Birmingham isn’t any worse than any other major city. Glasgow and East London had a poor reputation in the past but hosted fantastic games where crime wasn’t an issue at all.

I’m not surprised Birmingham got the nod, getting a brand new stadium through the planning process and built in 5 years was always going to be difficult for the Liverpool bid. I can’t see Kuala Lumpur winning the bid if they still haven’t had confirmation of funding from their government. Which brings the redevelopment of the Alex a step closer.

Profile photo of stevek26
    SteveK26
    Participant

A close member of my family was recently sent on a training course held in Birmingham.
    All staff being sent were told not to take their cars (and accordingly were only paid rail travel expenses), They were also advised not to leave the hotel for the duration of the course.
    This man is an ex-inspector and still works in a job with very close links to the force.

Profile photo of laps
    Laps
    Participant

All in favour of Birmingham hosting Commonwealth Games, though the future of Alexandra Stadium vs Olympic Stadium for athletics is problematic.

Profile photo of taffy
    Taffy
    Participant

Birmingham scores quite well on being a safe city according to a 2016 report? I have never had any problems. Like most city centres there a large number of youths hanging around, but I have never seen anything to worry me. London 2012 was staged in the most deprived London Borough.

I have been visiting Birmingham since 1988. Back in the 0’s architecturally it was awful. Since the mid 90s I think it is a nice pleasant city. Loads of nice parks, a scenic canal side and nice vibrant shopping centre.

I think they will host and stage a good games.

Profile photo of sovietvest
    sovietvest
    Participant

My experience is the same as yours Taffy. The canal side around the indoor arena is really nice and I leave my car in a residential street near Alexandra Stadium at least twice a year and it strikes me as a nice area.

Profile photo of laps
    Laps
    Participant

A close member of my family was recently sent on a training course held in Birmingham.
    All staff being sent were told not to take their cars (and accordingly were only paid rail travel expenses), They were also advised not to leave the hotel for the duration of the course.
    This man is an ex-inspector and still works in a job with very close links to the force.

Think this says more about the risk averse health and safety industry than it does about Birmingham.
    They would have us paranoid, taking ever more precautions, as the world mainly becomes a safer place.

Profile photo of ladyloz
    Ladyloz
    Participant

What’s that based on Steve? To my knowledge the crime rate in Birmingham isn’t any worse than any other major city. Glasgow and East London had a poor reputation in the past but hosted fantastic games where crime wasn’t an issue at all.

I’m not surprised Birmingham got the nod, getting a brand new stadium through the planning process and built in 5 years was always going to be difficult for the Liverpool bid. I can’t see Kuala Lumpur winning the bid if they still haven’t had confirmation of funding from their government. Which brings the redevelopment of the Alex a step closer.

I think having a large number of indoor facilities probably helped too. And better transport links.

In addition to redeveloping the Alex the other major development required is the Aquatic centre. Not sure what the plans are for the Village either.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by Profile photo of ladyloz ladyloz.
    Profile photo of pegs
    Pegs
    Participant

I believe the university has a new 50m competition pool which will help.

I lived there for 15 years – never had any problems but I knew where to steer clear of. It has rough parts for sure, but so does every city – at least in Brum they are areas you could easily choose to avoid. You can have a very safe existence if you want to.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Product Reviews View All
Don't Miss
Videos
AW Offers