Athletics Weekly | Athletics World Cup - initial thoughts - Athletics Weekly

Athletics World Cup – initial thoughts

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of stevek26 SteveK26 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of daneck
    daneck
    Participant

Warning: may contain snark.

Initial thoughts on the Athletics World Cup

Profile photo of occasionalhope
    OccasionalHope
    Participant

Nice article. I like your idea about scheduling rounds of field events.

Profile photo of treadwater1
    treadwater1
    Participant

I’m generally pretty positive about the whole thing, staging it in a non world champs / Olympic year makes sense, the US should send a full strength team as they have no other demands this year. I can’t fathom why they’ve excluded the 3k steeple and the 5k, the steeple doesn’t take a huge amount of time to complete and if they’re concerned about fitting everything into the schedule they could swap the 5k for a 3k.

If they’re thinking about doing things differently and experimenting with new ideas why not include an all-star team. Far too many of the likes of Schippers, Miller-Uibo, Rojas, Warholm, Pearson and Barshim will be watching it at home

Profile photo of stevek26
    SteveK26
    Participant

My initial thoughts are that this new format will not be as good as the original World Cup inaugurated in 1977.

In fact I don’t think its now possible to replicate the simple format begun in Dusseldorf. The seasons are now too crowded and athletes have Diamond League cash to hunt down.

I attended the first one in 1977, and thoroughly enjoyed it (even though there were very few GB athletes competing for Europe).

FWIW the old Europa Cup was also miles better than the insane European Team Champs that have replaced it. :cry: :cry:

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Product Reviews View All
Don't Miss
Videos
AW Offers