Athletics Weekly | 2018 World Indoor Championships - Athletics Weekly

2018 World Indoor Championships

This topic contains 294 replies, has 29 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of dpickup dpickup 3 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 276 through 295 (of 295 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of jjimbojames
    jjimbojames
    Participant

I actually don’t think she should have said those comments – it’s not exactly Paula-esq with Yegorova and straight at the Champs does reflect poorly. I would also have veered away from commenting on what they think Hassan was thinking.

That said, there are a number of questions around Dibaba’s associations, past and present – just as there were with Mo, and I was pleased they were openly addressed, so I hope they are for her, too. Until that happens, people will talk and who can blame them, given the history of the sport

Profile photo of philipo
    philipo
    Participant

Holmes had her friend Maria Mutola to beat.
    Muir has Dibaba to contend with.

(both in my opinion a little bit iffy).

Robo2 sets out a very good age comparison. Whereas Holmes went on to miss a number of opportunities through injury, Muir is only now fully free to be a full time athlete.

Strongly disagree therefore with Ursus and Philipo who are so fervently in the Holmes camp that they think comparison is almost a sin.

On the contrary, Ursus, this is a great subject for debate.

STEVE NOTHING TO DO WITH WHOSE CAMP I AM IN.
    No intelligent observer of our sport can possibly rate what Muir did this w/e with what KH did in Athens. lets not be bloody stupid about the subject.
    I have no axe to grind about any athlete since they are not family of intimates, just sportspeople but when some poster tells me about Muir’s performances at the w/e and makes a ridiculous comparison with a very rarely achieved OG double I reckon things are getting really silly.
    By the way I am not comparing the quality of the above athletes, because KH was immeasurably a greater athlete on the world stage than Muir is at this period of her career. but merely the fatuous assertion about Muirs week end efforts.
    For all I know LM might be a multi Olympic Gold medallist in five years time, but I dont believe it.

Profile photo of stevek26
    SteveK26
    Participant

Philipo

Nice that its convenient for your argument to just say Muir’s 3-55 was a one off.

I know you are your own man when it comes to judgements, you must know my posts well enough to realise that. So I’ll ignore your ‘camp’ comment.

I’m not saying for one minute that Muir has achieved the same as the great Dame. (As , again, I’m certain you know)

But comparing talents using Laura’s potential is a perfectly OK debate for a chilly March.

Profile photo of paul
    paul
    Participant

It is a bitterly cold night on Salisbury plain. A small tribe of survivors of the nuclear war are huddled around a camp fire. “Tell us a story!” cry the children. “What do you want tonight kids? Beowulf, or Kelly Holmes at the Olympics?”
    “Kelly Holmes! Kelly Holmes!” they all shout. “That story makes the hairs stand up on the back of our necks. And the tears of joy leak from our tired eyes.”

Kelly Holmes makes Beowulf seem like just another legend. When we can say that of Laura, then she will have joined Kelly in the pantheon of the greats.

Profile photo of philipo
    philipo
    Participant

Philipo

Nice that its convenient for your argument to just say Muir’s 3-55 was a one off.

I know you are your own man when it comes to judgements, you must know my posts well enough to realise that. So I’ll ignore your ‘camp’ comment.

I’m not saying for one minute that Muir has achieved the same as the great Dame. (As , again, I’m certain you know)

But comparing talents using Laura’s potential is a perfectly OK debate for a chilly March.

Steve, you keep missing my point. I know not why.
    I reacted about a statement from a poster who compared two lesser medals this w/e to a double Olympic gold. The fact that Kelly achieved more than what Laura has so far, is not what got my goat.
    Please try to understand.

Profile photo of ursus
    Ursus
    Participant

Muir at her best would be the equal of Holmes at her best.

Guess that depends if you’re looking at the clock or racing. You could argue that each might have beaten the other in particular types of race. That’s fine (and in fairness Kelly is 47 now). :yahoo:

I think Laura’s great, but the jury’s out on her highest level racing credentials at the moment. Let’s see what happens once her studies are behind her. My own feelings are that she’ll be a bit of a Radcliffe style bridesmaid on the track.

SteveK26
    Participant

Philipo

Sorry if I missed the central theme of your post.

In general it sounded to me like you were averse to even enter into a discussion comparing the two.

To me Laura represents all the values that have been missing in British middle distance running, male and female, for years. She has talent, guts, determination and a willingness to put herself right on the line.
    And thats the only way to learn about yourself. The more she begins to achieve the more likely she will find the tactics that suit her best.
    All of that I think you will agree with, I hope!!

:good:

Profile photo of dpickup
    dpickup
    Participant

Paul at 1218h today
    Holmes v Beowulf made me get down from my bookshelf my ‘Beowulf’ (Heaney translation) (and an illustrated edition which beforehand might give a few nice idea-props to the story teller).

But let Beowulf wait.

Holmes, but what about Bannister, Coe v Ovett, Chataway v Kuts, Farah dangling the opposition, record smashing, relentless Radcliffe

But all MD/LD events, tho’ could Bolt’s 100, behind at the start, level till 60m and them gloriously leaving all behind by the end and into the record books

Could any one of us get our heads round a 4 x 100 relay and contrast the progress of the top 2 teams from gun to tape?

Field events? Beamon’s leap, Edward’s 60 footer, Zalezny’s javelin that goes and goes and goes to nearly 100 meters

Or read/recite a great poem?! eg
    – The Listeners, Walter de la Mare
    – The Lake Isle of Innisfree, W.B. Yeats
    – The Highwayman, Alfred Noyes

Profile photo of philipo
    philipo
    Participant

Philipo

Sorry if I missed the central theme of your post.

In general it sounded to me like you were averse to even enter into a discussion comparing the two.

To me Laura represents all the values that have been missing in British middle distance running, male and female, for years. She has talent, guts, determination and a willingness to put herself right on the line.
    And thats the only way to learn about yourself. The more she begins to achieve the more likely she will find the tactics that suit her best.
    All of that I think you will agree with, I hope!!

:good:

Very much so.

Profile photo of laps
    Laps
    Participant

That’s good. Personally I’m with Soviet on this one. Some of you are a bit slow to get it.

SteveK26
    Participant

Laps

Too many brain cells draining away in my case! Its called the passage of time!

Profile photo of taffy
    Taffy
    Participant

Lucyspikes, I agree with you re Khloserhfen. For me she is the key to how future finals will pan out.

Profile photo of robo2
    robo2
    Participant

Philipo

Steve, you keep missing my point. I know not why.
    I reacted about a statement from a poster who compared two lesser medals this w/e to a double Olympic gold. The fact that Kelly achieved more than what Laura has so far, is not what got my goat.
    Please try to understand.

the main point is that you are comparing holmes whole career against someone who is 25, so you are doing the same thing, also not a fair comparison, on times they are about the same already, it remains to be seen if laura can pick up the medals, she has 10 or so years to do so for your comparison to be fair

SteveK26
    Participant

Its fair enough to draw comparisons, or discuss their slightly different range of events, and even speculate on what Laura might achieve in terms of times. Its also relevant to factor in who’s around now in opposition compared to The Great Dame’s era.

So there is a lot to talk about. But I guess what we can’t do just now is make any conclusions. Too early.

My own view, FWIW, is that Laura Muir will win a global outdoor gold by the time her career is over. (Subject to the usual caveats of illness and injury).
    Reasoning is that she seems to have closed the gap a bit on Dibaba, and shown that she can beat Hassan and the others. I’m also not convinced that Dibaba will be around for the duration of Laura’s career.

One big obstacle to her 1500 aspirations might be removed if the hyperandrogenism issue gets sorted.

Profile photo of larkim
    larkim
    Participant

I’m feeling I missed out on some classic posts on this thread (now deleted!)…

I don’t care about comparisons, Muir is simply the most outstanding role model for any young athlete aspiring to middle distance success.

She is not blessed with some of the raw speed talent over a single lap that some of her competitors are, but she is blessed with a determination that I’ve not seen before on the track, a work ethic which is rarely seen these days and a humility about her that we can all learn from. And added to that she clearly has the intelligence required to undertake her vetinary training.

She was ranked only about 150th or lower in the country over 800m and 1500m at the top of U17 according to Po10. Clearly hard work, enjoyment, application pay off – what a lesson for a current U17W who has just broken 5 minutes – you too could be a world champs medallist!!

Profile photo of laps
    Laps
    Participant

Its fair enough to draw comparisons, or discuss their slightly different range of events, and even speculate on what Laura might achieve in terms of times. Its also relevant to factor in who’s around now in opposition compared to The Great Dame’s era.

So there is a lot to talk about. But I guess what we can’t do just now is make any conclusions. Too early.

My own view, FWIW, is that Laura Muir will win a global outdoor gold by the time her career is over. (Subject to the usual caveats of illness and injury).
    Reasoning is that she seems to have closed the gap a bit on Dibaba, and shown that she can beat Hassan and the others. I’m also not convinced that Dibaba will be around for the duration of Laura’s career.

One big obstacle to her 1500 aspirations might be removed if the hyperandrogenism issue gets sorted.

100% with you there Steve. I have to admit to being shakey on the sport’s historical comparisons but the Great Dame never did impress me to the extent she clearly impressed others. Laura on the other hand I regard as a gem, finding her way against some of the greatest middle distance runners of all time. It’s just a matter of time before she is on top of the podium.

Profile photo of philipo
    philipo
    Participant

If one decides to recall the fantastic range and period of injuries that KH had as a matter of fact, and her brilliant medal in Sydney shortly after being told that her career was over, and the period during which she was the predominant middle distance runner in this country, and if one recalls that she broke the British 800m record( if I remember right) in 1993 in Stuttgart just a bit before her Athens runs :negative: then one might keep going about an athletes that has not yet triumphed in the same way,an athlete of quality but not yet a global champ being compared to a proven winner.
    Get your points , posters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Your crazy arguments is akin to saying that Johnson Thompson may end up in years to come as a greater multi eventer than Kluft, JJK……Seriously???

Profile photo of philipo
    philipo
    Participant

oops, wrong about her PB in Stuttgart ..not a British record.
    Looking at British all- time performances, I think probably their events are too different to use as a correct comparison as to merit, KH being 800/1500m and LM being 1500m/3K/5K, except the medals and wins already referred to earlier.

Profile photo of luckyspikes
    LuckySpikes
    Participant

I don’t care about comparisons, Muir is simply the most outstanding role model for any young athlete aspiring to middle distance success.

She is not blessed with some of the raw speed talent over a single lap that some of her competitors are, but she is blessed with a determination that I’ve not seen before on the track, a work ethic which is rarely seen these days and a humility about her that we can all learn from. And added to that she clearly has the intelligence required to undertake her vetinary training.

She was ranked only about 150th or lower in the country over 800m and 1500m at the top of U17 according to Po10. Clearly hard work, enjoyment, application pay off – what a lesson for a current U17W who has just broken 5 minutes – you too could be a world champs medallist!!

Couldn’t agree more with all of this!

I remember reading that she said she didn’t really learn until (about) 2013 how to really push herself hard in training.

Profile photo of dpickup
    dpickup
    Participant

Statistics and analysis from IAAF World Indoor Championships Birmingham 2018
    see
    https://www.iaaf.org/news/news/performance-statistics-iaaf-world-indoor-cham

Viewing 20 posts - 276 through 295 (of 295 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Product Reviews View All
Don't Miss
Videos
AW Offers