Athletics Weekly | 2018 World Indoor Championships - Athletics Weekly

2018 World Indoor Championships

This topic contains 294 replies, has 29 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of dpickup dpickup 3 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 226 through 250 (of 295 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of occasionalhope
    OccasionalHope
    Participant

At least we lined up in the right place. Bronze after all.

Profile photo of mysterybrick
    MysteryBrick
    Participant

At least we lined up in the right place. Bronze after all.

Yeah, disappointing but that is a clear rule, I’ve seen teams disqualified from National Leagues and BUCS for the same thing, silly from Macpherson

Profile photo of iain
    Iain
    Participant

Brilliant! So happy for Andy Pozzi!

OccasionalHope
    Participant

fantastic from POzzi!

OccasionalHope
    Participant

there have been some great field events this champs too, and the TV coverage Of them is much improved.

Profile photo of iain
    Iain
    Participant

Looks like our women’s relay has been DQd.

What a men’s relay!

Profile photo of mysterybrick
    MysteryBrick
    Participant

I did NOT expect that!!!!

Fair play Poland, World Record!

OccasionalHope
    Participant

Brilliant run by the Poles in He men’s 4 x 4.

Profile photo of iain
    Iain
    Participant

I got splits for our men of:
    46.8, 45.8, 46.6, 45.8

Profile photo of robo2
    robo2
    Participant

Philipo

Just to remind you this is a forum and I will comment on your posts whenever I feel like it. It has been known for me to agree with you sometimes, but not on this occasion.

I somehow doubt that your local chats with friends and family is a fair barometer of public opinion.
    Perhaps you should all have tuned into Eurosport (it is on there , by the way).

Your ‘flag-waving’ nonsense does you no credit. Neither does your damnation of Christie.
    But again, what you write is a matter for you. Enjoy the rest of the Winter Games.

What is your medal prediction for Birmingham? ( ‘thin’ doesn’t tell us much).

Defence of a person banned for fouling regularly at Olympic level does no particular credit to a fan of British sport..
    I do not have Eurosport cos its largely in a 12 month period not for me.
    If we get 3 individual medals in Birmingham that will be all I expect.
    In the Pentathlon with numerous top stars missing from the event I hear, and no shot or javelin KJT may indeed get a medal. Muir to get a medal is a fair possibility and one more from somebody… not for me Ujah nor Pozzi.

6 medals – third best ever for the brits

OccasionalHope
    Participant

I can’t find the online coverage this time either – where do they hide it?

Profile photo of luckyspikes
    LuckySpikes
    Participant

I can’t find the online coverage this time either – where do they hide it?

Me too. It’s not on the app either.

OccasionalHope
    Participant

If it was football they would just delay or cancel what was due on after.

Profile photo of iain
    Iain
    Participant

Our women’s relay has been reinstated, so 7 medals for GB.

Profile photo of stevek26
    SteveK26
    Participant

My prediction of 5-7 ends up correct.

(Helped along by far too many DQ’s, though.)

Pozzi and KJT will hopefully move their careers on from here.

LuckySpikes
    Participant

Enjoyable championships with some great competition and some super British performances. However, it was somewhat marred by all the DQs.

Is there a better way to penalise someone for a lane infringement? The advantage of putting a foot on the line once is less than 0.01s so how about having 0.05 added to your time each time you do it, rather than being DQ’d? The same could apply to steps inside the rail indoors or outdoors. Usually that only happens because an athlete has lost his/her balance and so there is no advantage gained because s/he loses time regaining balance.

That would still gives those who are clearly better athletes the chance to progress/win.

Profile photo of jjimbojames
    jjimbojames
    Participant

She did indeed run well, but I suspect (hope) she would be mortified by your posts – great athletes don’t need to denigrate others to big up their own success.

As for no one caring about the CWG – many could say the same about WIC.

Profile photo of carterhatch
    carterhatch
    Participant

@SteveK26

I doubted your optimism and was happy to be proven wrong.

I too feel very uneasy about the DQs, but Eilidh really grasped the opportunity presented, though the relay medal is, I am sorry to say, undeserved.

I am so pleased for Pozzi, in my pre games analysis I singled him out as someone I really wanted to medal, and he performed admirably… I hope this now leads to even more success outdoors…

I am often critical of the BBC, too much inane yapping, but there seemed to be increased coverage of the field events, and for the most part the audience would have been captivated.

The Polish relay victory was extraordinary … to beat the Americans is one thing, but to set a World Record, blimey… I hope they were able to provide samples after their exertion ;)

my efforts to toggle between this, the World cycling, and British swimming were mostly pointless, as SteveK26, you might agree, the later was very under whelming …

SteveK26
    Participant

Carter

The swimming was always going to be below par, mainly because little was at stake. The senior teams are more or less already selected for 2018.
    One or two excellent swims from the juniors kept me watching.

The Polish 4×400 was a surprise and to say they ran out of their skins is an understatement. Hats off to them.

SteveK26
    Participant

Darkside

Welcome back. Very entertaining post! I look forward to the next one……

LuckySpikes
    Participant

Hello there, bloody Brits! Now it’s over and Genzebe is back on top again. Now, what do you have to say? Very little, indeed. Now she is the greatest ever

Hi there, bloody Ethiopian! :)

On the contrary, many of us had something to say and we all seemed pleased as punch with Laura’s performances. Some of us even praised Genzebe at the same time. Shock, horror!

Personally I’d say, until proven otherwise, that Genzebe is a great athlete and she’s been great for women’s middle-distance running. I enjoy watching her, she’s forcing the others to be faster than they would have been otherwise and she has revolutionised mid-distance championship racing with her incredibly hard runs for home from 800 or 1000 out.

I do wish, however, that she’d run more 1500s in the Diamond League. Maybe it’s too much for her though because she’d have to run the same way to assure victory? When she did run a few in 2013 and 2014 we saw how vulnerable she is when it just comes down to a last-lap kick.

SteveK26
    Participant

Hello there, bloody Brits! Now it’s over and Genzebe is back on top again. Now, what do you have to say? Very little, indeed. Now she is the greatest ever

Hi there, bloody Ethiopian! :)

On the contrary, many of us had something to say and we all seemed pleased as punch with Laura’s performances. Some of us even praised Genzebe at the same time. Shock, horror!

Personally I’d say, until proven otherwise, that Genzebe is a great athlete and she’s been great for women’s middle-distance running. I enjoy watching her, she’s forcing the others to be faster than they would have been otherwise and she has revolutionised mid-distance championship racing with her incredibly hard runs for home from 800 or 1000 out.

I do wish, however, that she’d run more 1500s in the Diamond League. Maybe it’s too much for her though because she’d have to run the same way to assure victory? When she did run a few in 2013 and 2014 we saw how vulnerable she is when it just comes down to a last-lap kick.

Too balanced and too reasoned a response to have much effect on dear Darkside I fear, Luckyspikes.

(I nearly spat my tea out when I read your opening line!)

Profile photo of robo2
    robo2
    Participant

1. 8 world records, most held simultaneously in history
    2. Only person to break 3 world records in 3 events within 15 days
    3. Only person to win 2 solo golds within 48 hours (Yesterday)
    4. Only person to go undefeated indoors as a 20+ yr old
    5. Only person to rank top 3 all time in 13 different events! (Her 8 WRs + top 3 in 5 others)

Have fun crying about your Commonwealth thing no one cares about :yahoo: :good: :cry: :cry: :yahoo:

she will be caught at some point

Profile photo of jambob
    jambob
    Participant

5. Only person to rank top 3 all time in 13 different events! (Her 8 WRs + top 3 in 5 others)

Have fun crying about your Commonwealth thing no one cares about :yahoo: :good: :cry: :cry: :yahoo:

Did you take lessons to be such an arrogant ar*ehole, or does it just come naturally?

Profile photo of jambob
    jambob
    Participant

she will be caught at some point

I’d put money on it! :yes: ;-)

Viewing 25 posts - 226 through 250 (of 295 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Product Reviews View All
Don't Miss
Videos
AW Offers