Athletics Weekly | 2018 Outdoors - Athletics Weekly

2018 Outdoors

This topic contains 501 replies, has 40 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of philipo philipo 1 hour, 16 minutes ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 301 through 325 (of 502 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of carterhatch
    carterhatch
    Participant

Well said Hemlcok and a timely reminder.

It is only May, a lot of GB athletes no doubt are treating this year very (in)differently having already had the World Indoors, the Commonwealths and no Worlds or Olympics to peak for… and many might take this opportunity to change things a little and hence performances will be varied

I highlighted Prescod a couple of years back, I am very pleased with the performance to date, but what if he takes the twitterati advice, extends himself too early, injures himself trying to do too much (say over a 200, or a relay) and he is out for the year… A sensible management of the season, with a medal at Europeans in one event, is a good milestone to achieve.

Yes, I confess to once being a huge KJT groupie, and cant help thinking that even at her beast she will not beat Thiam – but who would? Would we rather return to a time when the best we had was Lousie Hazel (‘love-her to-bits’ but was never setting the world alight) Yes, it is painful to watch at times, and that includes her Muller light adverts, but her range of LJ, HJ, and 200 has rarely been bettered, ever – anyone for a new triathlon style event :)

Holly Bradshaw – ufff…. I think she represents the type of athlete who is made comfortable on funding, it allows this type an alternative lifestyle to 9 to 5, offers warm weather training and world travel, with a couple of hours inconvenience of competing… She was once young, keen and hungry.

I fear for SBD, even given it is early season and she is returning from injury, something is amiss. It is a salutary lesson, as a couple of seasons back, indoors particularly, she looked capable of taking a step to world class. Talking of three letter 400 females, could PSD have one last hurrah, and be UK outdoor number one by the end of the season.

I get most excited by watching the journey of the few of our young athletes, who emerge one season from nowhere, and then rise to great heights, could Thomas Staines be on that path as a genuine 400/800 prospect, when was the last time we had someone of that nature? He has it in his DNA, he is a big unit, and has only recently taken up ‘track and field’ seriously…

Well, just sharing thoughts on a bank holiday weekend with nowt else to do :)

Profile photo of luckyspikes
    LuckySpikes
    Participant

Has Nafi Thiam been getting javelin tips from KJT?

Profile photo of philipo
    philipo
    Participant

Well said Hemlcok and a timely reminder.

It is only May, a lot of GB athletes no doubt are treating this year very (in)differently having already had the World Indoors, the Commonwealths and no Worlds or Olympics to peak for… and many might take this opportunity to change things a little and hence performances will be varied

I highlighted Prescod a couple of years back, I am very pleased with the performance to date, but what if he takes the twitterati advice, extends himself too early, injures himself trying to do too much (say over a 200, or a relay) and he is out for the year… A sensible management of the season, with a medal at Europeans in one event, is a good milestone to achieve.

Yes, I confess to once being a huge KJT groupie, and cant help thinking that even at her beast she will not beat Thiam – but who would? Would we rather return to a time when the best we had was Lousie Hazel (‘love-her to-bits’ but was never setting the world alight) Yes, it is painful to watch at times, and that includes her Muller light adverts, but her range of LJ, HJ, and 200 has rarely been bettered, ever – anyone for a new triathlon style event :)

Holly Bradshaw – ufff…. I think she represents the type of athlete who is made comfortable on funding, it allows this type an alternative lifestyle to 9 to 5, offers warm weather training and world travel, with a couple of hours inconvenience of competing… She was once young, keen and hungry.

I fear for SBD, even given it is early season and she is returning from injury, something is amiss. It is a salutary lesson, as a couple of seasons back, indoors particularly, she looked capable of taking a step to world class. Talking of three letter 400 females, could PSD have one last hurrah, and be UK outdoor number one by the end of the season.

I get most excited by watching the journey of the few of our young athletes, who emerge one season from nowhere, and then rise to great heights, could Thomas Staines be on that path as a genuine 400/800 prospect, when was the last time we had someone of that nature? He has it in his DNA, he is a big unit, and has only recently taken up ‘track and field’ seriously…

Well, just sharing thoughts on a bank holiday weekend with nowt else to do :)

Agree with your thoughts wholesale ,Carter especially about Bradshaw; hopeless competitor; would not spend a cent on that athlete
    Keep seeing her on Twitter talking inanities which do not interest me one little bit. How tragic that an early talent of exceptional possibilities just bloody wasted.
    Wont say more about Staines who may or may not be one of our promising guys who do not come through. Lets wait and see.

Profile photo of nico2112
    nico2112
    Participant

Has Nafi Thiam been getting javelin tips from KJT?

She’s experimenting a new run up in the javelin and the High jump, with very different results.
    I would says it is the right time to experiment, even though it might have cost her the ER (very unlikely though seen the 800m).

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by Profile photo of nico2112 nico2112.
    LuckySpikes
    Participant

Excellent 1500 in Eugene. I really didn’t expect Houlihan to run 3:59! Very good opener for Our Laura, toughing it out down the home straight and 1.2 seconds quicker than her opener on the same track last year. Some big times behind too, Arafi sub-4 and Linden Hall with a new Aussie record.

There’ll be no beating Karissa Schweizer in the 5000 or 10,000 at NCAAs. In the 5000 West Prelim last night she ran 65.1 on the last lap of a 15:19 race looking as easy as you like, the last kilometre in 2:52. Two days earlier she finished a 32:10 10k in 67.

LuckySpikes
    Participant

The Rome DL entry lists are out and it’s a stacked 11 days or so from Thursday onwards. Before Oslo & Stockholm on the 7th & 10th there’s Hengelo (entry lists), which looks super, and the Turku World Challenge meeting (entry lists) which is getting better gradually year by year. It’s a fairly loaded javelin field in Turku no doubt boosted by the added attraction of being awarded the deeds to a Finnish island for winning and beating the Finnish record (Aki Parviainen’s 93.09)! Hengelo is fairly easy to stream and Turku is on Eurosport. And not forgetting the NCAA Championships from the 6th to the 9th which I imagine will be on BT Sport ESPN again.
    There’s a whole host of other good little meetings being streamed in this period too. You know where to look in due course for the links & details. ;-)

Profile photo of foxyjarvis
    foxyjarvis
    Participant

Insightful, must read interview with Prescod in the Telegraph.

Profile photo of hayden
    Hayden
    Participant

In the Bydgoszcz Cup Anyika Onuora ran a 52.25 SB, the only GB Euro qualifier of the day along with a sub-46 run from Rabah Yousif, although not a SB for him

LuckySpikes
    Participant

Wow! Alina Talay twice improved her NR in St. Polten, Austria today. 12.61 in the Heats and then 12.41 (+0.5) in the Final (yes, that is a 4!) Roleder was 2nd in 12.89.

LuckySpikes
    Participant

^ That’s the fastest time by a European for 26 years and she goes #16 on the world all-time list.

Profile photo of rununlimited
    RunUnlimited
    Participant

Samba, 47.48 NR and WL! Warholm 47.82 National Record!

Men’s 400m Hurdlers looking pretty strong this year!

Samba is now =14th in the world all-time list for the event, whilst Warholm goes equal 4th on the European all-time lists (sharing it with Kriss Akabusi) with his strong run… He’ll surely be a strong favourite for the 400m Hurdles crown in Berlin later this summer.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by Profile photo of rununlimited rununlimited.
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by Profile photo of rununlimited rununlimited.
    RunUnlimited
    Participant

Meh, disappointing run from MHS in the 400m, fading in the home straight to run a mediocre 45.52, behind Fred Kerley’s season’s best of 44.33.

RunUnlimited
    Participant

The Baker – Coleman rivalry is heating up… Baker winning the 100m in Rome with a 9.93 clocking, beating his USA teammate Coleman quite convincingly, with Vicaut coming into 2nd place with 10.02 and Tortu again impressing, coming 3rd with a 10.04 time – not quite able to beat the national record of the man who this Diamond League event is named after, but still an impressive run from such a young athlete.

Profile photo of hayden
    Hayden
    Participant

9:32.08 PB and EL for Rosie Clarke in the 3000m Steeplechase, beating Krause in the process.

LuckySpikes
    Participant

9:32.08 PB and EL for Rosie Clarke in the 3000m Steeplechase, beating Krause in the process.

Not a European Lead though because Luiza Gega (ALB) ran 9:22.00 in the same race.

I don’t know how Rosie feels about it but I’d be a bit disappointed with that. With 8:47 flat speed she should be able to get down to low-9:20s and that kind of ability will probably be needed to be in contention for a medal in Berlin with Krause a 9:11 gal, Grovdal 9:13, Schlumpf 9:21 and now Gega at 9:22.

Profile photo of treadwater1
    treadwater1
    Participant

Echeverria is as exciting a prospect as McLaughlin in my opinion, he’s already close to Manyonga and going by that huge foul could soon be on a par with him, at just 19. Hopefully both choose to go the world juniors

Very impressive run from Samba, Warholm was delighted with that NR but still came a distant second, 400h the one to watch this year

Profile photo of hayden
    Hayden
    Participant

Not a European Lead though because Luiza Gega (ALB) ran 9:22.00 in the same race.

I don’t know how Rosie feels about it but I’d be a bit disappointed with that. With 8:47 flat speed she should be able to get down to low-9:20s and that kind of ability will probably be needed to be in contention for a medal in Berlin with Krause a 9:11 gal, Grovdal 9:13, Schlumpf 9:21 and now Gega at 9:22.

Good spot, I didn’t clock the Albanian’s run.

I agree Rosie definitely has the potential to be running fast times and perhaps breaking the British record? She’s still fairly young (or at least looks it anyway!)

LuckySpikes
    Participant

On Sunday Hengelo will be using wavelight technology … Best if I quote from the IAAF preview to explain – “Wavelight technology will be used for the first time with lights lining the inside edge of the track functioning as a sort of pacesetter, moving around the track like in a wave-like motion. But will not only serve runners by designating a pace. The lights will also be used to show spectators record paces, with different coloured lights highlighting world, national or meeting records or season’s bests.

Interesting to see how it fares. Might they completely replace pacemakers eventually?

I agree Rosie definitely has the potential to be running fast times and perhaps breaking the British record? She’s still fairly young (or at least looks it anyway!)

She’s 26 so yeah, still plenty of time.

Profile photo of philipo
    philipo
    Participant

I am not too sure where is the evidence that Clarke has the potential to be running fast times. Only 26 years old. That tends to be the standard response to any assertion here that a particular has not got the ability to be a top flight performer. Don’t know how often on this site I have read that KJT, (for example) has plenty of time to improve significantly; for me most athletes tend to break through quite suddenly. Clarke may be running 9.15 for all I know in the next two years, I just don’t happen to believe it.

Profile photo of occasionalhope
    OccasionalHope
    Participant

On Sunday Hengelo will be using wavelight technology … Best if I quote from the IAAF preview to explain – “Wavelight technology will be used for the first time with lights lining the inside edge of the track functioning as a sort of pacesetter, moving around the track like in a wave-like motion. But will not only serve runners by designating a pace. The lights will also be used to show spectators record paces, with different coloured lights highlighting world, national or meeting records or season’s bests.

Interesting to see how it fares. Might they completely replace pacemakers eventually?

Maybe for anyone actually trying for a record. I don’t believe it would work in a regular Diamond League race when all they really want is to win, because you would lose that little psychological nudge from an actual athlete on the track running the required pace. they ignore them often enough as it is.

LuckySpikes
    Participant

I am not too sure where is the evidence that Clarke has the potential to be running fast times. Only 26 years old. That tends to be the standard response to any assertion here that a particular has not got the ability to be a top flight performer. Don’t know how often on this site I have read that KJT, (for example) has plenty of time to improve significantly; for me most athletes tend to break through quite suddenly. Clarke may be running 9.15 for all I know in the next two years, I just don’t happen to believe it.

For world/international class female steeplers the differential between their flat 3000 speed and their steeple time is typically in the 25 to 35 second range. Comparing with the best Europeans, Krause is not particularly speedy on the flat, probably a mid-low 8:40 runner with an actual best indoor of 8:49. Grovdal is an 8:37 runner on the flat and she ran 9:13 last year in her first steeple for many years.

At the moment Rosie Clarke’s flat/steeple differential sits at 45 seconds. So, it’s not unreasonable to expect that she should be able to get, at least, down in to the low-9:20s right now. Sure, that’s not going to win you global medals but, as I said before, it would put her in contention at European level.

In distance running terms I’d say 26 is still relatively young, with many distance runners peaking in their late 20’s.

Profile photo of mysterybrick
    MysteryBrick
    Participant

4th at the Commonwealth Games ahead of 2 2017 World Finalists with PBs in the 9:20s, PB in 2nd steeplechase of season. I think this is an unrealistically negative view.

Profile photo of robo2
    robo2
    Participant

beth dobbin breaks the scottish 200 meters record with a time of 22.84 B-)

RunUnlimited
    Participant

beth dobbin breaks the scottish 200 meters record with a time of 22.84 B-)

Well, well, well. Looks like Ms Dobbin is making a proper name for herself in the 200m this year. Certainly has put her name in for the hat for those women looking to book a place in the European Championships this year. Very well done on breaking that record! :)

RunUnlimited
    Participant

And to add to the above, Alisha Rees lowers her own Scottish U-20 100m record to 11.58, and in so doing achieves the qualification standard for the World U-20 Championships to boot. Great stuff!

As well as that, Chad Miller has knocked a substantial chunk off his 100m PB at Oordegem, Belgium earlier today, running a World U-20 Championship qualifying mark of 10.43secs (+0.6 wind) Impressive running!

Chad backed that up by running 21.01secs (+0.6 wind) in the 200m at the same meeting, missing out on the 200m World U-20 qualifying standard by 0.01 secs.

Viewing 25 posts - 301 through 325 (of 502 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Product Reviews View All
Don't Miss
Videos
AW Offers