Athletics Weekly | 2018 Indoor Results - Athletics Weekly

2018 Indoor Results

This topic contains 84 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of stevek26 SteveK26 5 hours, 34 minutes ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 85 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of levitasverum
    LevitasVerum
    Participant

ISTAF Berlin atmosphere looks LIVE with performances to match :yahoo:

Profile photo of treadwater1
    treadwater1
    Participant

Eilidh Doyle 52.34 in Vienna, SBD back running after barely competing since Rio, 54.74

A bit of a breakthrough from Lee Thompson – 46.74 at the same meeting, his previous PB 47.01 outdoors. 46.70 is the A standard

Profile photo of stevek26
    SteveK26
    Participant

Team Wales, having selected SBD, will be very pleased to see that early sign of fitness.

As will the Scots be happy with that time from Eilidh.

Profile photo of carterhatch
    carterhatch
    Participant

Congratulations to Laura Muir with a new Scottish Indoor 800m record of 1:59.69 … compatriot Zoey Clark has set a new Scottish Indoor 200 record, which bodes well for her 400

results have been hard to come by this weekend …I have wanted to getinfo on the combined events taking place in Madrid… forum veterans are thin on the ground… and those spammers have really taken over …

Profile photo of luckyspikes
    LuckySpikes
    Participant

Congratulations to Laura Muir with a new Scottish Indoor 800m record of 1:59.69 …

Mhairi Hendry with 2:02.41 as well. That’s a second better than her outdoor PB and 2.5s better than her previous indoor PB.

In Bratislava, Stacey Smith ran 4:17.70 solo (never headed). At 1000 she was on pace for about 4:13/14 but could have done with some competition. Still, I expect her to be very competitive at the trials and hope she can get into a fast race before the deadline.

Profile photo of catinahat
    catinahat
    Participant

For the combined events results you can access them via http://www.rfea.es – there are some boxes on the right hand side of the home page that advertise meets and the second one down leads you to the combined events results.

I think a pentathlon PB for Jo Rowland after a 2.12 800m to finish off a very solid day.

Katie Stainton pulled out after the hurdles – not sure if she has an injury but is down for the hept at the CWG’s I believe.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 2 days ago by Profile photo of catinahat catinahat.
    carterhatch
    Participant

thank you for the link Catinahat …

‘A very impressive 6.58 for @ojie_edoburun today over at Lee Valley…’

SteveK26
    Participant

Laura Muir’s 1-59.69 is seriously impressive.

The question is does that sort of 800 speed constitute a ‘kick’ in the context of a 5000 ?
    Or would she need a long sustained run for home if she is to beat the likes of Obiri, Hassan and Dibaba for example?

Or perhaps a mid-race burst a la Yvonne Murray?

If she gets there it will be very interesting to see what she does in the Europeans.

Profile photo of trickstat
    trickstat
    Participant

Laura Muir’s 1-59.69 is seriously impressive.

The question is does that sort of 800 speed constitute a ‘kick’ in the context of a 5000 ?
    Or would she need a long sustained run for home if she is to beat the likes of Obiri, Hassan and Dibaba for example?

Or perhaps a mid-race burst a la Yvonne Murray?

If she gets there it will be very interesting to see what she does in the Europeans.

Speed over a shorter distance and a change of pace are not necessarily the same thing but it certainly isn’t a bad thing!

carterhatch
    Participant

this site is plagued with those spammers… have written as per request to jessica.w@athleticsweekly.com but heard nothing …

Meanwhile… I had got quite excited about Ada’ora Chigbo a couple of season’s ago and then seemed to flat line … just noticed she competed in the US at the weekend for New Mexico Uni … a PB in the shot and 1.80 in HJ … guess she has moved there to study…I wish her well and hope she continues with the Heptathlon

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 1 day ago by Profile photo of carterhatch carterhatch.
    LuckySpikes
    Participant

Not indoor results but a good interview with Peter Elliott – https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/the-peter-elliott-interview-how-silver-still-bothers-an-olympic-man-of-steel-1-8985416

Always great to watch, I was so happy when he finally got a major gold in 1990. No Brit has run faster at 800 since his 1:42.97 in that year. It’s shocking to recall though how much hate he got for being picked for the ’88 Olympics instead of Coe.

LuckySpikes
    Participant

Live IAAF stream for the World Indoor Tour meeting in Dusseldorf tomorrow evening from 6pm UK time – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-ilKz0GiQk

Entry lists – http://blog.psd-rr.de/meeting/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2018/02/Athletenverpflichtung-2018_05.02.pdf

LuckySpikes
    Participant

Some excellent performances by our mid-distance lads and lasses this last week. It all looks very competitive for the trials this coming weekend.

Chris O’Hare backed up his Millrose win with victory in Boston in 3:37. Jake Wightman was four tenths back. Both have the worlds standard (as does Josh Kerr.)

Sarah McDonald ran a super race in Boston. Leading with 210 to go she ended up with a 4 second indoor PB in 4:07.62, well inside the worlds standard of 4:11. Hannah England just missed out with 4:11.25 in the same race but, in Gent, Katie Snowden ran 4:10.09. Also, Eilish McColgan ran 4:08.07 in Madrid and Laura Muir 4:05.37 in Glasgow.

Steph Twell’s new coaching arrangement (Geoff Wightman) seems to be suiting her well. A terrific race from her in Boston running 8:41.94, beating Emma Coburn, closing the last 400/200 in 64.1/30.8 and beating her indoor PB by 4 seconds.

Rosie Clarke’s 8:47.30 in Madrid was a huge PB indoors or out and a worlds standard. With flat speed like that she should have sub-9:20 and the British record in her sights over the barriers come the summer.

After a couple of efforts in the 7:56/7:57 range Jonathan Davies also secured the worlds standard with 7:50.18 in Boston.

Videos from Boston for download:
    Men’s 1500
    Women’s 1500
    Women’s 3000

SteveK26
    Participant

On the negative side KJT failed to throw beyond 12 metres in the shot (again) in a three event comp in Belgium.
    She got humiliated by Thiam (who threw over 15 in the shot), and lost by 200 points. KJT matched Thiam in the hurdles and beat her 1-93 against 1-90 in the HJ. But that shot ……….

Its as clear as a sunny day that Kat will NEVER bring her shot and javelin to the required level, and her time abroad has not changed that situation one iota.

For me she should come home and concentrate on HJ and 200/400. But we all know that will not happen. So I guess her career will in future all be about damage limitation and chasing an elusive bronze in the heptathlon. :cry:

I just wonder why she can’t see it. She could be good enough to be at least winning medals in relays, and (who knows) maybe even individual medals too.
    Why does she insist on feeding herself through a wringer?

carterhatch
    Participant

oh Stevek26

the question of KJT is a very difficult one…

if it were not for the emergence of Thiam, then perhaps the question of KJT continuing with the Hep would be much easier to answer. Thiam’s extraordinary ability to combine a world class high jump with very credible SP and Javelin, for heptathletes, exposes KJT’s weaknesses even more. But I also think Thiam’s tenacity contrasts starkly with KJT’s rather more fragile psyche, which has been exposed a little too often. Indeed I trace my awareness of this back, rather ironically, to when KJT feel a point or two short of achieving the world indoor Pen WR…

I do hope she continues with the multi events, indeed starting with the world indoor Pen, but I think she has to compete more at small meets to help her improve her mental approach to Sp and Javelin, but also test herself against the world’s best in HJ, LJ and 200, where she can hold her own, more often … hence I would rather she had entered these three individual events at the Commonwealth’s than the Hep.

KJT’s hurdles could be so much better (sub 13) and losing to Thiam over 60 is a surprise, but she doesn’t seem to have an explosive start and maybe a little ring rusty. Pressure to achieve a 1.93+, 6.80+, sub 23 is a heavy burden, and if one fails, it all unravels… Her SP is never going to be above average for even a Heptathlete, but her Javelin could get better (though many are quick to suggest she has a touch of the kelly Southertons, if that is rather unkind to both) and her 800 could one day make the difference between her and Thiam, but she has to be a lot closer in scoring at this point.

KJT is undoubtedly the most gifted UK athlete of a generation but she has to find an inner Jessica Ennis to fulfil this talent…

anyway, I dont want to start a debate on the indoor results thread, but needed to collect my thoughts on the matter…cheers!

SteveK26
    Participant

Carterhatch

KJT is undoubtedly a gifted athlete.

I would rank Dina Asher-Smith above her, however, along with Mo (of course) and Jess Ennis. So I don’t think she can take the mantle of ‘the most gifted athlete of a generation’.

Problem is, she may well never fulfil the great talent she has. Not while she is dragging two huge ball and chains behind her.

LuckySpikes
    Participant

It struck me that there’s been 3 hot women’s 3000 races in the States this month, a fast one in Ostrava and also in Madrid and, indeed, my suspicions are confirmed that this is a bit of a banner year for the women’s 3000 indoors with 21 women already under 8:50. Going back to 2010 (I didn’t check further back), the next most in an indoor season was 14 women in 2011.

LuckySpikes
    Participant

Wow 1! Christian Coleman got his WR with 6.34 at altitude (Albuquerque) in the USA Champs!

Wow 2! Katie Nageotte won the Pole Vault with 4.91 at the first attempt. She’s totally missed out the four-eighties in improving her PB (previous best 4.76)! After Morris & Suhr crashed out at 4.91 she had 3 decent goes at a world indoor record of 5.04.

Imagine running 7.73 in the women’s 60 hurdles and only finishing 3rd. That’s what just happened to Christina Manning! Sharika Nelvis set a new NR of 7.70 beating the 7.72 NR of Lolo Jones & Keni Harrison. Harrison ran 7.72 again for 2nd.
    Christina Manning must currently be the unluckiest woman in athletics, being forced to watch the World Indoors on her telly.

Donovan Brazier ran 1:45.1 for the 2nd time in 8 days. I’m not sure if he eased up or if he tied up in the last 15m (it was hard to tell) but he was so close once again to Johnny Gray’s 1:45.00 indoor NR.

Cracking burn-up in the women’s 1500 over the last 400. Shelby Houlihan ground out the victory to add to yesterday’s 3000m title. However, from what I’ve read she only intends to do the 3000 in Birmingham so it looks like their 1500 team will be Colleen Quigley and, making her first global team, Shannon Osika.

Full results – https://results.usatf.org/2018Indoors/

Profile photo of occasionalhope
    OccasionalHope
    Participant

I thought altitude performances didn’t count for WRs?

(Still an amazing performance by Coleman, though. And I’m still annoyed on his behalf that Gatlin spoiled what should have been his moment last year.)

Profile photo of trickstat
    trickstat
    Participant

I thought altitude performances didn’t count for WRs?

It’s been talked about but it’s never actually happened. I think something might have been done if any of the 1968 Mexico performances had stayed on the books after 1991. Does seem a little illogical that a 100m run at sea level with a +2.1 is ruled out for record and qualifying performances while one done with a +2.0 at twice the altitude of the peak of Ben Nevis is not.

Profile photo of philipo
    philipo
    Participant

Carterhatch

KJT is undoubtedly a gifted athlete.

I would rank Dina Asher-Smith above her, however, along with Mo (of course) and Jess Ennis. So I don’t think she can take the mantle of ‘the most gifted athlete of a generation’.

Problem is, she may well never fulfil the great talent she has. Not while she is dragging two huge ball and chains behind her.

In track and field gifts don’t really matter, what counts is performance. Poor KJT will fall between stools and her HJ and LJ potential will be spoiled by her need to prove in the Hep what she cannot, as she has two serious weaknesses.

SteveK26
    Participant

Philipo

2018 is a crucial year for Kat.

She has just turned 25, so she is probably right in the middle of her best years (physically).

If she fails to win in Australia, and doesn’t medal at the Europeans, she would surely have to take stock of where her career is going.
    The likelyhood, though, is a gold and silver from these two champs, so it might all come down to what scores she can post. I think she needs 6800 this year to maintain any hope that she might dethrone Thiam. A big ask.

Profile photo of jjimbojames
    jjimbojames
    Participant

6800 really isn’t that big a deal for her talents – she was just over 100 points shy, with a poor HJ. The CWG may well be too early, but I would hope she can score that in Berlin

SteveK26
    Participant

Jimbo

Brisbane may be too early for a really big score, but visually she looks in great shape and that LJ was encouraging.
    A gold medal with a decent score would set her up for Berlin.
    What then happens in Berlin might determine the rest of her career path.

I just wish her well, and hope for the best. Whatever happens she will have options going forward.

Who knows, a miracle might occur and she might come up with a 13-50 shot!

Profile photo of philipo
    philipo
    Participant

Philipo

2018 is a crucial year for Kat.

She has just turned 25, so she is probably right in the middle of her best years (physically).

If she fails to win in Australia, and doesn’t medal at the Europeans, she would surely have to take stock of where her career is going.
    The likelyhood, though, is a gold and silver from these two champs, so it might all come down to what scores she can post. I think she needs 6800 this year to maintain any hope that she might dethrone Thiam. A big ask.

I certainly think you are incorrect in assuming a silver medal for KJT in Berlin this year; it appears that whatever underperformance she brings to bear in two most important disciplines, there are blind believers out there.
    I await some evidence of reliability in KJTs LJ or even HJ with attendant embarassments of the last two years in mind, before I believe in her achieving medal status out doors.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 85 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Product Reviews View All
Don't Miss
Videos
AW Offers