Athletics Weekly | 2018 Indoor Results - Athletics Weekly

2018 Indoor Results

This topic contains 177 replies, has 28 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of dpickup dpickup 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 178 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of runningfree
    runningfree
    Participant

Results from day 1 of the Indoor Combined Events Championships:

Wu20 Pentathlon

Holly Mills – 4049 points (8.65 60mH, 6.17 LJ)
    Jade O’Dowda – 4013 Points
    Pippa Earley – 3840 points (8.69 60mH, 2.15.10 800 – first event as an u20)

Two over 4000 points, going 7th and 8th on the all-time junior list. Top 5 all over 3700. Top 2 broke Morgan Lake’s CR from 2013 when she was still an u17.

Profile photo of ladyloz
    Ladyloz
    Participant

Interesting to see Holly doing very well after not doing a Multi Event for a few years. I wonder if she’s planning to do a Hep in the summer?

Profile photo of ladyloz
    Ladyloz
    Participant

Robbie Grabarz jumped 2.30 yesterday so a good start to the year for him.

Profile photo of luckyspikes
    LuckySpikes
    Participant

Laura Muir 8:37 in a mixed 3000 in Glasgow. In the women’s only race Melissa Courtney PB’d (8:55) but was 5 seconds off the Worlds standard (it was set up to go sub-8:50). Katie Snowden was well off the standard.

In Sheffield Stacey Smith continued her comeback winning in 4:13.68, beating Hannah England by a couple of seconds. Getting the 4:11 standard for Worlds might be a stretch for Stacey but if she was to make the indoor team or Euros it would be the story of the year I think. I briefly outlined her story here last April.

Profile photo of runningfree
    runningfree
    Participant

Daryl Neita ran 7.24 in a men’s race today inside her PB of 7.29. I assume it doesn’t count as an official PB?? It certainly doesn’t count as a qualifying mark. Appears she is doing an indoor season after not being in the commonwealth team. Asha Philip has said she will do World Indoors so looking like Asha and Daryl will be our two in Birmingham.

Last years U20 100m champion Romell Glave ran 6.66 to go =3rd on the all-time U20 list with Dom Ashwell running 6.68 behind him to go into the top 10. Only Dwain Chambers (6.63) and Mark Lewis-Francis (6.51!!!) are ahead of Glave now.

Profile photo of luckyspikes
    LuckySpikes
    Participant

Well, that was a decent Pole Vault meeting in Orleans tonight.

Ninon Guillon Romarin set a new French record of 4.71 on her 3rd attempt (her previous best was 4.60 indoors & out). Kiriakopoulou was 2nd with 4.60 in her first competition back after giving birth. Her jumping music was Zorba the Greek.
    Sally Peake went out at 4.31 after first-time clearances at 3.95 & 4.15.

Filippidis won the men’s with 5.71. Three others cleared 5.61 – Changrui, Art & Jie.

Profile photo of carterhatch
    carterhatch
    Participant

it’s been too quiet for too long (plus I keep having log in problems) but I have always relied on this forum for interesting titbits; where are you all?

I had to wait for the weekend round up but now ask the following…

‘In a mixed race, world sprint relay medallist Daryll Neita clocked 7.24 for 60m.’ with relay runners for the CG fdropping like flies (Henry and Nelson both withdrawn) is there an explanation why Neita was left out of England selection in the first place, and now, is there are reason not to add her, with what I can make out only 4 of the original relay squad left…

‘Katarina Johnson-Thompson competed in three events – the hurdles where she was timed at 8.50, a 10.91m shot and long jump where she jumped 6.45m.’ oh KJT, that SP hasn;t filled me with high expectations… is she doing the Pen at the World Indoors?

‘Romell Glave won the junior race in 6.66 … moving Glave from 30th to joint third on the UK under-20 all-time list…’ Does anyone else feel uncomfortable about the lad’s, clearly talented, allegiance when he was born and bred in Jamaica…

comments encouraged…

• This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by Profile photo of carterhatch carterhatch.
    Profile photo of stevek26
    SteveK26
    Participant

Carterhatch

It is unusually quiet on here at the moment.

Nieta fills me with optimism, very talented and cool under pressure. I would have expected Imani Lanisquot to be at a similar level, but not sure what curtailed her season last year.

If KJT comes out all-guns blazing with a 10-91 shot, I hope she knows what she is doing. That is appallingly bad and not even English Schools level.

Rommell Glave looks useful, and had a pretty full season over here last year. I certainly see no reason to be ‘uncomfortable’ with his Jamaican background, any more than I would with Bolt.

carterhatch
    Participant

thanks for the comments Stevek26 (been enjoying your debate on swimming forum)

I am ‘uncomfortable’ as the young lad seems to have switched allegiance to UK from Jamaica… why would he feel that necessary?

I know it is early days yet but that SP by KJT hardly reflects positively on new set up…

As for Ms. Neita, as I pointed out, the England 4×100 could certainly benefit from adding her to the CG team, losing both Henry and Nelson has left them vulnerable to a last minute call up for anyone who can run a 100, and we all know what happens then…

too quiet on here … we have the world indoors in two months !

Profile photo of sprintdude
    Sprintdude
    Participant

I am ‘uncomfortable’ as the young lad seems to have switched allegiance to UK from Jamaica… why would he feel that necessary

Glave publicly stated in AW a couple of weeks ago that World Juniors is the priority this year and for that he will need a British passport which I believe he dosent have yet. From past experience I’m sure British Athletics will have a hand in that and it won’t be an issue by then.
    The real frustration is that the “non plastic Brits” then don’t get a look in.
    On a slightly different note it was great race to watch on Saturday with Dom Ashwell only beaten because he didn’t dip on the line.

SteveK26
    Participant

Carterhatch

A swimming fan too? Thats great. I think there are quite a few of us on here who really enjoy both.
    Do you post?

Nieta must have reason(s) for not going to the Gold Coast, here’s hoping that its not injury. As is the case with the very unfortunate Ash Nelson. Will she ever get another chance to show how good she is?

carterhatch
    Participant

thanks for that insight about Ashwell, Sprintdude … Yes, I read the article but I guess the question I am asking is why isn’t the lad Glave, running for Jamaica?

Hi SteveK26,

Yes, swimming fan, but lurk rather than post as only an uninformed bystander… It can’t be an injury that prevents her going as she is up and running in the indoors, so to speak, it could be a la Muir, exam clash, but that’s speculation …

• This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by Profile photo of carterhatch carterhatch.
    SteveK26
    Participant

LOL
    How stupid of me! Of course she is.
    (I think I’m developing a phobia about injured female GB sprinters!!)

You are probably right; its likely to be about the timing of the Gold Coast Games.

Profile photo of nico2112
    nico2112
    Participant

KJT wants to win the penthatlon in Birmingham, I read from an interview in a French newspaper.

Profile photo of jford92
    JFord92
    Participant

Carterhatch,

Personally I welcome these plastic brits with open arms. It can only push those in and around young Glave and perhaps inspire more young, perhaps diverse Brits wanting to commit to the sport, providing a ‘this is what you could achieve’ etc.

Those who have a problem with it can only be intimidated imo. No doubt we’ll see something from Kilty et al if he emerges properly in the next few years. Can I just say, although slightly different – seeing Zharnel Hughes in a GB vest now, bats 0 eyelids.

Nationality, in sport – falls under ‘identity’ now in my opinion (eligibility provided). If he wants to identify as a British athlete, and has the capability to run fast, pull on our vest please!

Profile photo of jford92
    JFord92
    Participant

Following on from response to Carterhatch,

I don’t think it’s wrong for people like yourself to feel somewhat uncomfortable with it.

_____

Regarding Glave though, what could we expect of him this year? Would love to see more youngsters roughing it at the British Champs this year, not on Glave’s agenda i’m sure. But I haven’t been able to really see the class in a young sprinter since a saw Gemili take on Chambers in 2012. The race was slow but was so exciting to see an 18 year old making the senior lads sweat.

Adventurous pick for GB team for indoors this year: Ronnie Wells over 60m, PB: 6.70. He’s a similar stature to that of Theo Etienne, really interesting sprinter to see develop.

carterhatch
    Participant

JFORD92

without usurping the thread with more chat about ‘plastic Brits’ … I sincerely dont have an issue with young Glave… I am just curious why he has chosen the UK route over Jamaica – we have discussed, in the past ad nauseam, why the likes of Hughes and Proctor had little choice given the ‘politics’ of BOTs not being recognised by the IOC (though why they could not represent their respective islands at the CGs does baffle me)
    and therefore have every right to represent UK … but is Jamaica unable to offer one of their own very talented youngsters support, don’t they have a very wealthy benefactor who has some knowledge of sprinting who might offer funding to keep him representing their country?

in the other matter, I have just checked the England CG team and with the Women’s 4×100 might we see either Adeoye or Onuora drafted into the relay? I am on record questioning the early selection of the team, and would not be surprised by further withdrawals …

Profile photo of mysterybrick
    MysteryBrick
    Participant

The thing everyone seems to be forgetting about Glave is that he has been based in Croydon for the last 2 years, since he was 15, and it is here that he has developed into the athlete he is now. Since (my assumption is) Jamaica will have a very competitive sprints scene for the World Juniors, and likely require attendance at a trials of some sort, that may well be prohibitively expensive. Thus, if he wants to do anything internationally now it is GB or nothing. And this ignores the fact he may also want to represent GB as this is his home now etc.

It’s not as if he is a 20-year-old coming over. If I had moved, with my family, somewhere different at the age of 14/15 I am not sure how I would have felt about representing either my previous or new home, but I don’t think it would have been clear cut.

carterhatch
    Participant

I understand Mysterybrick, and that was the inference I took from an article I read about him… I wish him all the best and an injury free career, and Jamaica may well rue the day…

SteveK26
    Participant

I have to agree with Mystery.
    Glave has done ALL his running in the UK over the previous two seasons, and if Carterhatch hadn’t brought up the subject of his Jamaican heritage I would never have given it a thought.

The thing to bear in mind in his case is that its highly unlikely that his family came here to fly a flag of convenience. In fact he might well find it MORE difficult to get a GB vest these days than a Jamaican one.

Lets hope he develops into a seriously good sprinter.

SteveK26
    Participant

Thought some of you might be interested in this, while we are on the subject….Q&A: IMANI LANSIQUOT AND ROMELL GLAVE

We met up-and-coming sprinters Imani Lansiquot and Romell Glave.

Georgia Scarr By Georgia Scarr Posted on October 4, 2017
    ShareTweetShareToggle

Imani Lansiquot and Romell Glave – remember those names. 17-year-old Romell is pipped to be the next Usain Bolt, while 19-year-old Imani is the second fastest British teen of all time. We caught up with them at the shoot for new PUMA Nightcat run collection.

How did you each get started in athletics?

Romell: I started when I was small in Jamaica. I saw my family run – my dad and my mum used to run, and my sister – so I continued the tradition.

Imani: I got into athletics because of my parents as well. They actually met at a competition and made sure their child was going to be a sprinter! I kind of knew I was fast from school sports days and carried that through to now.

What was the point at which you realised you could go big?

I: I think it was perhaps was in 2013, and I won my first English schools competition. I got called up to represent England, and that was the point where I thought ‘I want to take this seriously and be professional.’ Prior to that it was just something I would do for fun at the weekends and after school.

Who’s your biggest running inspiration?

I: Obviously you’ve got Usain, he’s a big reason why Puma is so prolific. Also the likes of Elaine Thompson, Tori Bowie, [Marie-Josée] Ta Lou. At the moment, sprinting is so exciting – there’s not only one stand-out name, there are so many women, especially in Britain.

R: I always wanted to be an athlete from 2008 when I saw Usain. He’s my biggest running inspiration.

What does your weekly training programme look like?

R: I’m on a break now, so I don’t know what my coach has planned for me other than adding another training session. I do two sessions for speed training and one for weights.

I: Four times a week I’ll do two sessions a day and on one day a week I’ll just do one session, so I train about nine times a week. Four of those are strength sessions – I only started doing that last year and it was such a culture shock because I wasn’t used to training that much! It’s taken me a whole year to get used to it.

What are your favourite sessions?

I: Speed sessions, all the way! Wouldn’t you say the same? [Romell agrees] I hate long distance training, hate it, but it’s part of winter training so we have to do it. I love speed sessions, things over 60 metres, that’s my favourite thing to do. Long distance for sprinters is like 300m, 400m! But it’s at speed, it’s speed endurance, so I’m not completely lazy!

Imani, you’re at uni at the moment, and Romell, you’re at college. What are you studying?

I: Psychology at King’s [College London]. I’m just in my first year now, I took a gap year. Fitting training in around uni is very hectic. I actually start formal training next week, but most of my days are going to be sandwiched with training, uni, training every day. I have my gym at uni then I go up to Lee Valley to do my track sessions.

R: I’m doing BTEC Level 3 Sports. It’s about fitness, the human body and psychology. It helps me know how the body works and how the muscles function.

If you both had to focus on any sport outside running, what do you think it would be?

R: [Straight away] Cricket.

I: Really?! My family love cricket. You know Brian Lara? I’m named after Brian Lara. My name is Imani-Lara. How annoying! I would say tennis. I’m really inspired by Serena Williams.

What has been the highlight of your running career so far?

R: Winning the double at National Champs [Glave won the 100m race in 10:21 and the 200m in 21:08 at the England U20 Championships this June].

I: Can we just say, he’s the fastest 17-year-old in the world! I remember, I watched that race, it was insane. I’m the second fastest teenager in British history, so that would be my biggest achievement. I did that at the World Junior Champs.

Are there any new up-and-coming athletes that you see as real competition?

I: I don’t really know what’s going on in terms of people who are younger than me, but it is exciting to see people who are achieving better than I did at that age. It’s good to see the sport progressing, and I’m always there as a point of advice for young girls coming up through the rankings.

R: There’s a lot for next year’s under 20s, but it’s better with competition.

If you could give one piece of advice to anyone who takes up running, what would it be?

I: It would be to just enjoy it and set yourself small goals. It can be daunting, especially going into something professionally or trying to take it really seriously, so set weekly goals, things that are easy to achieve and eventually you can build up to bigger goals.

R: I would say to always think about what they’re doing, have their plans and think about how they’re going to achieve them, and to aim for them.

Profile photo of foxyjarvis
    foxyjarvis
    Participant

15 year old Dominic Ogbechie jumped 2.12 at the weekend. He ran 21.5 for the 200 last summer as well as long jumping 7.30m. He has throwing ability as well. Someone to watch.

Profile photo of jford92
    JFord92
    Participant

Good point, Mystery. Thing with athletics as well is that changing allegiance is a lot more straight forward (i think) than the likes of football, rugby etc.

Thanks for that interview, Steve – love seeing things like that, it’s great to see how much Bolt’s reign inspired so many! I was born a little too early for his 2008 performances and beyond to be my pivotal ‘i now love athletics’. I don’t know why but I still for some reason expect young athletes to be talking about John Regis!

Can’t wait for this indoor season, really nice to see so many athletes prioritising it too.

Profile photo of jford92
    JFord92
    Participant

@FOXYJARVIS.

wow.

carterhatch
    Participant

indeed Foxyjarvis another very talented young athlete … He was on my radar from last season but I have learnt not to get too excited as there is a long way to go before realising the full potential, if ever, but I wish him all the luck on his journey and have fun with it!

there was also a couple of good 400m results from U23/U20 with names, over the weekend, I hadn’t heard of before, wouldn’t it be lovely to have a Nicola Sanders breakthrough … to this day her indoor 400 to win European Indoors in… Birmingham 2007 … is one of those never to forget athletics moments…

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 178 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Product Reviews View All
Don't Miss
Videos
AW Offers