Athletics Weekly | 2018 CG Prediction Game - Predict the British medallists - Athletics Weekly

2018 CG Prediction Game – Predict the British medallists

This topic contains 56 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of stevek26 SteveK26 3 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of luckyspikes
    LuckySpikes
    Participant

A couple of people have already expressed an interest in a prediction game for the Commonwealths and I’m always up for such things so that makes at least 3!

I have 2 ideas outlined below. Please let me know if you prefer Option A or Option B and I will go with the majority. In the event of a tie in ‘votes’, I’ll flip a coin.

You have until 5pm on 4th April to vote. I’ll get the game up later that night to allow you 3 days to post your predictions before competition starts on 8th April.

Alternatively, as I’ve said elsewhere, if you want to run a game for the Commonwealths please post your idea here. I don’t want to monopolise these games if there are others who wish to run one.

Ok, on to my 2 options …

Option A
    Just like the recent game for the World Indoor Championships …

Predict the British medallists. One point scored for each correct prediction, one point deducted for each incorrect prediction.

Option B
    A combination (equally weighted) of predicting some of the champions and some of the winning marks (not necessarily in the same events). In this game points are awarded for correct predictions and no deductions are made for incorrect predictions.
    Part One – Events will be split into 3 roughly equal groups (broadly sprint & hurdles, distance and field & multi) and you will have to choose say 9 champions from each group. Para events are not included. 2 points for each champion and a bonus for full marks in a group.
    Part Two – Using the same 3 groups predict say 9 winning times/distances/heights from each group. Score points depending on how close you are – 2 points if you are within 0.5% for track/road events or 1% for field events, 1 point if you are within 1% for track/road events or 2% for field events.
    The actual marks you have to be within will be pre-determined based on roughly ‘typical’ winning marks and posted in a PDF document for you to see beforehand. So, for example, in the Men’s 400 you would score 1 point for being within 0.44s and 2 points for being within 0.22s, or in the Women’s Hammer, 1 point for being within 1.50m and 2 points for being within 0.75m. A bonus will be awarded for scoring (1 or 2) in every event you choose in a group. It may sound complicated but it should be a lot clearer when (if) the whole game is posted!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Profile photo of robo2
    robo2
    Participant

option a for me

Profile photo of longstrider
    LongStrider
    Participant

Absolutely option B.

For years I’ve been predicting a few silly times, looking around and noticing no one to tell or prove it to! This is my chance. (It’s also a bit like the Diamond League Fantasy Race format) – great stuff.

Thanks for creating this thread LuckySpikes – will anticipate the common sense of the forum posters will shine through and we’ll be playing option B.

Profile photo of ladyloz
    Ladyloz
    Participant

Option A for me

Profile photo of stevek26
    SteveK26
    Participant

Option A for me too.

LuckySpikes
    Participant

Thanks for your votes so far!

I’ve noticed a couple of athletes withdrew from the CG about a week ago but haven’t yet been taken off the official website’s entry lists (Carina Horn in the 100 and Simone Facey in the 200).

So, for the benefit of all playing the game, please post in this thread any other withdrawals you become aware of.

Profile photo of laps
    Laps
    Participant

Option A please.

LuckySpikes
    Participant

Okay, the people have spoken! Sorry Longstrider, I liked Option B as well (hence suggesting it). Maybe next time!

On to the game …

The rules
    The rules are simple – predict which British athletes will win a medal in which events. You do not need to specify what colour of medal.

Just to be clear, that’s anyone representing England, Scotland, Wales, the Isle of Man, any of the Channel Islands and, because they normally represent us on “Team GB”, Northern Ireland as well.

The para events are not included in the game. (Sorry!)

Scoring & Jokers
    You score a point for each correct prediction but lose a point for each incorrect one. If your predicted athlete does not start the event you will not be deducted a point.

There’s a twist to the gameplay this time. You have 4 Jokers you can play, a maximum of 2 for the men’s events and a maximum of 2 for the women’s events. They are optional, you can play any number of your 4 jokers or none at all.
    Jokers work like this – you apply a joker to an event and for any correct predictions for that event you win 2 points. However, there’s some jeopardy – if you have an incorrect prediction for that event you’ll lose 2 points for that athlete! How confident do you feel?! Play it safe or take some chances for glory?!

The tiebreaker question – Predict the winning time in the Men’s 400m Final. Whomever is closest wins the tiebreaker.

Useful info
    For your reference, the number of British medallists in athletics in the last 4 editions of the Commonwealth Games were:
    2002: 35
    2006: 23
    2010: 33
    2014: 34

The entry lists are available via https://results.gc2018.com/en/athletics/sport-entries.htm
    Be aware that Carina Horn (100m) & Simone Facey (200m) have withdrawn.

The closing time for the game is 10pm UK time on Saturday 7th April when the first event starts. Please indicate your jokers clearly.

You can edit your team right up to the closing time but not afterwards.

If you need anything clarifying, please just ask.

Finally … Good luck, everyone and enjoy the Games!

Profile photo of philipo
    philipo
    Participant

I assume relays will not be represented since its 4 athletes in one hit????

LuckySpikes
    Participant

I assume relays will not be represented since its 4 athletes in one hit????

No, relays are included. So, for example, you win one point if you correctly predict that England wins a medal in the men’s 4×100 but you lose a point if that prediction is incorrect.

Withdrawals update – Sally Pearson out with injury.

Profile photo of philipo
    philipo
    Participant

well I have just finished my predictions plus the relays I am thinking about.
    will put them up at the last minute in case of injury.
    Dare one make Englands short relay a Joker :-(

LuckySpikes
    Participant

Dare one make Englands short relay a Joker :-(

A baton fumble or a torn hammy is just a second away!

Profile photo of philipo
    philipo
    Participant

if you make a joker for an event as you state, I assume that still assumes that you are bound to select a GB athlete in a particular event, so for example if one selected the Mens Hammer as a Joker for our guy Miller that’s what you have in mind; not a person other than a Brit.?? Am I correct??

LuckySpikes
    Participant

if you make a joker for an event as you state, I assume that still assumes that you are bound to select a GB athlete in a particular event, so for example if one selected the Mens Hammer as a Joker for our guy Miller that’s what you have in mind; not a person other than a Brit.?? Am I correct??

Yes, there’s no point selecting a Joker for an event where you haven’t predicted a British/NI medal.

The Joker applies to the event and not the athlete. So, say that the following was part of my predictions …

W 1500: Steph Twell
    W 5000: Steph Twell + Eilish McColgan *JOKER
    W Marathon: Alyson Dixon

If Eilish won a medal in the 5000 but Steph didn’t, I would win 2 points for Eilish but lose 2 points for Steph.
    For Steph in the 1500 I can only win or lose 1 point – the Joker applies to an event (in this case the W 5000) and not to her as an athlete.

Profile photo of philipo
    philipo
    Participant

Thanks Lucky, here goes. I made my list yesterday finally and this mornings AW seems to agree rather a lot :yahoo:

M100m …Gemili
    m200m …Hughes…JOKER
    M800m …Langford
    M1500m Whiteman
    m110m hurdles Pozzi
    HJ Grabarcz…
    Hammer Miller…JOKER
    20K Walk Bosworth
    4x100m men England
    4x400m men England
    W200m Asher-smith
    W5k Weightman
    W400m hurdles Doyle
    HJ Lake
    LJ Proctor
    Hammer Hitchon…JOKER
    Heptathlon KJT… JOKER
    4x100m Relay W England
    4x400m Relay W England

I will not alter this unless I read that one of my chosen is not going to be there.

LuckySpikes
    Participant

Thanks, Philipo. I’ve whittled it down to my shortlist. Need to do some more research on the competition.

Yes, I’m taking this seriously LOL.

Profile photo of ladyloz
    Ladyloz
    Participant

Just another note on withdrawals -Zane Robertson has withdrawn from the Kiwi team for the Marathon

Profile photo of mbchristie
    MBChristie
    Participant

* = JOKERS
    400m tie break: 44.71

800m : Kyle Langford
    1500m : Chris O’Hare
    Mar: Callum Hawkins
    110H. Andrew Pozzi
    400H : Jack Green ; David Greene
    HJ : Robbie Grabarz
    PV : Luke Cutts
    TJ : Nathan Douglas
    HT: Nick Miller * ; Chris Bennett
    20kmW : Tom Bosworth *

100m : Asha Philip
    200m : Dina Asher-Smith
    800m : Shelayna Oskan-Clarke
    1500m : Melissa Courtney
    5000m : Eilish McColgan
    100H : Tiffany Porter
    400H : Eilidh Doyle *
    4×100 : England
    4×400 : England
    HJ : Morgan Lake
    PV : Holly Bradshaw
    LJ : Shara Proctor
    DT : Jade Lally
    HT : Sophie Hitchon
    Hept : Katrina Johnson-Thompson *

LuckySpikes
    Participant

Philipo, don’t forget to answer the tiebreaker question – Predict the winning time in the Men’s 400m Final.

Profile photo of treadwater1
    treadwater1
    Participant

I’m surprised nobody’s opted for Scotland in the women’s 4×4, I think it will be very close between England and the Scots.

I fancy another of our athletes to get one of the minor medals in the men’s hammer, maybe even Taylor Campbell

I think Ill wait until tomorrow before posting

Profile photo of philipo
    philipo
    Participant

Philipo, don’t forget to answer the tiebreaker question – Predict the winning time in the Men’s 400m Final.

Oops, tie break 44.51

• This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by Profile photo of philipo philipo.
    Profile photo of occasionalhope
    OccasionalHope
    Participant

Men
    100 Gemili
    200 Hughes
    800 Langford
    1500 Wightman
    Mar Hawkins
    110h Pozzi
    HJ Grabarz, Gale
    Hammer Miller JOKER
    Walk Bosworth
    4×1 England
    4×4 England

Women
    100 Philip
    200 Asher-Smith
    800 Oskan-Clarke
    5K McColgan
    100h Porter
    HJ Lake JOKER
    PV Bradshaw
    LJ Ugen, Proctor
    Hammer Hitchon
    Hep Johnson-Thompson JOKER

I hadn’t realised Eilish McColgan was entered in the 10K as well.

Profile photo of sidelined
    sidelined
    Participant

OccasionalHope, though Eilish McColgan was entered in the 10,000 she’s not running it.

I see MBChristie is boldly opting for Dai Greene in the 400h. That would be a wonderful comeback to see.

Profile photo of hayden
    Hayden
    Participant

Men
    200m: Hughes
    Marathon: Hawkins
    110mH: Pozzi (JOKER)
    High Jump: Grabarz
    Hammer Throw : Miller, Bennett (JOKER)
    20k Walk: Bosworth
    4×1: England
    4×4: England

Women
    100m: Philip
    200m: Asher-Smith
    100mH: Porter
    High Jump: Lake
    Pole Vault: Bradshaw
    Long Jump: Ugen
    Hammer Throw: Hitchon (JOKER)
    Hep Johnson-Thompson (JOKER)
    4×1 England
    4×4 England

Tiebreaker: 44.80

LuckySpikes
    Participant

Just over 14 hours left to post your predictions.

Don’t forget your tiebreaker answer everyone. Looking at you, OccasionalHope. ;-)

I’m surprised nobody’s opted for Scotland in the women’s 4×4, I think it will be very close between England and the Scots …

I noticed that. With Doyle, Clark & McAslan they have three-quarters of a pretty good team. Perhaps Kelsey Stewart can run 52-high/53-low as well?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 57 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Product Reviews View All
Don't Miss
Videos
AW Offers