Athletics Weekly | 2017 outdoors - Athletics Weekly

2017 outdoors

This topic contains 417 replies, has 45 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of stevek26 SteveK26 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 376 through 400 (of 418 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of mattrh17
    Mattrh17
    Participant

23.15 (-1.0) 3rd behind Felix in 22.80.

Better than I expected.

Profile photo of luckyspikes
    LuckySpikes
    Participant

Laura Muir 4:05.01 at Citta di Padova 1st

This was one of the biggest fields I’ve ever seen for a 1500 – 26 starters! They had to line up in 2 rows.

Laura still not looking quite herself. She won by over a second from Efraimson but made quite hard work of it. She hit the front with about 600 to go. Last lap in about 65. I think she looked a bit disappointed at the end that she didn’t have a bigger kick.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by Profile photo of luckyspikes luckyspikes.
    Profile photo of hayden
    Hayden
    Participant

23.15 (-1.0) 3rd behind Felix in 22.80.

Better than I expected.

About the same times as B Williams and Hylton will probably run in London, so can’t really complain. It is a shame that there’s not a space for Agyapong though.

Profile photo of philipo
    philipo
    Participant

Finally a sub 10 by Ujah in Rabat. 9.98 with a legal wind

LuckySpikes
    Participant

Pretty good meeting in Rabat despite it being far from the deepest quality.

I think Nijel Amos has a decent chance to beat Rudisha to gold in London. He’s demolishing everyone right now and seems to be able to dig deeper than the opposition to get the most out of himself.

It made a nice change to see Gesa Krause not getting blown away by Kenyans for once.

LuckySpikes
    Participant

New PB for Sandra Perkovic in Bellinzona, 71.41.

The crowd went home happy with wins by Kambundji, Buchel & Sprunger.

Another good run by Learmonth, 4th in a shade over 1:46 (his 2nd fastest ever) beating Sowinski & Osagie.
    Tiff Porter, 13.00 behind Stowers.

Full results here.

Wonder if anyone knows the answer to this? … How do the Swiss team communicate with each other? Are they all trilingual? I saw interviews with Buchel & Kambundji in German, Ajla del Ponte in Italian and Lea Sprunger in French (I was expecting German given her surname.)

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by Profile photo of luckyspikes luckyspikes.
    Profile photo of jeremy1066
    Jeremy1066
    Participant

Luckyspikes – I was in school and uni in Switzerland, and for many, at the very least French and German are interchangeable. At my Uni, in a French speaking Canton, there were students from all over the country.

Profile photo of peterwill
    peterwill
    Participant

Luckyspikes – I was in school and uni in <span class=”vm-hook-outer vm-hook-default”><span class=”vm-hook” style=”color: rgb(0, 153, 0); border-color: transparent transparent rgb(0, 153, 0);”>Switzerland</span><span class=”vm-hook-icon” style=”display: inline-block;”></span></span>, and for many, at the very least French and German are interchangeable. At my Uni, in a French speaking Canton, there were students from all over the country.

I spent some time teaching in Switzerland and whilst the German speakers could converse a bit in French their English was fantastic and these kids were about 13. I’d personally assume they use English as the most convenient language… especially if there’s an Italian Swiss in the mix.

Profile photo of jeremy1066
    Jeremy1066
    Participant

At times, like out at dinner with a group, the languages would often just change spontaneously at the table. Just a different sensibility.

LuckySpikes
    Participant

Thanks for your replies, Jeremy & Peter.

Profile photo of hayden
    Hayden
    Participant

Tom Gale has jumped 2.30m (which frustratingly is the WC Qualifying mark!!) at the English Champs today

A real shame he won’t be in London but definitely one to watch for the future

Profile photo of occasionalhope
    OccasionalHope
    Participant

He’s improving at such a rapid pace it’s a real shame that this is presumably just too late to get him into London.

Profile photo of treadwater1
    treadwater1
    Participant

Finette Agyapong ran 52.42 over 400 yesterday and Maya Bruney is doing the 400 at the Manchester international

Profile photo of jjimbojames
    jjimbojames
    Participant

Good to see them racing the longer distances – could likely go quicker in better conditions, too. Maya is a real talent and John has done a great job transitioning her through

Profile photo of stevek26
    SteveK26
    Participant

Tom Gale might have secured a medal in London.
    He is quite a prospect, and a shame he wasn’t able to compete on the big stage.

Profile photo of ursus
    Ursus
    Participant

Tom Gale might have secured a medal in London.

….if he’d have equalled his PB set in the hothouse of the Inter Counties….when most of the others, used to globals, were well below theirs.

He is quite a prospect

Unarguably. Although I’ll bet he won’t break the junior NR.

shame he wasn’t able to compete on the big stage

Less sure about this, although being in London probably tips my view. But don’t forget this year has also seen him jump 2.09 in the Wiltshire Schools and 2.08 in the UK Champs.

Let him develop at his own pace before Gabby et al start doing their “next big thing” montages.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by Profile photo of ursus ursus.
    LuckySpikes
    Participant
    Profile photo of ursus
    Ursus
    Participant

Birmingham Diamond League startlists are up.

So our only two decent throwers are in a 6 person novelty “mixed hammer challenge” while the kids are running relays. Meanwhile Jade Lally and Scott Lincoln get to compete in top class fields while the event is in full swing. At least there’s some hammer for once, but I really do despair. (afterthought, will the hammer be in the main stadium….)

Steve will be pleased to see Gale competing.

Bit of an after the Lord Mayor’s show with lots of tired and, largely, disinterested athletes. After the packed stands in London, the attendance will be v interesting.

And a final, final, final, chance for the BBC to say goodbye to Mo.

Profile photo of larkim
    larkim
    Participant

Unless you’re predicting the stands being empty when the hammer event starts, I’d have thought being the first senior event in the field whilst there are kids races going on would actually increase the engagement with the hammer, rather than the other way around? I found on Saturday night that it was very easy to get lost in following the javelin comps with the 5000m and HJ also going on at the same time, so it’d be more Lally and Lincoln that would end up lost in the midst of the rest of the programme?

Profile photo of mrme
    MrMe
    Participant

And a final, final, final, chance for the BBC to say goodbye to Mo.

Oh great.

More montages.

I imagine he’ll be back for the great north run, where the montages will get another spin, oh yes and SPOTY, oh and the London Marathon next year………..

Profile photo of ursus
    Ursus
    Participant

Unless you’re predicting the stands being empty when the hammer event starts,

I’m not predicting them to be full at any point, but yes! First proper track is 13.41, by which time much of the hammer will be done – will they only get 4 attempts?

I found on Saturday night that it was very easy to get lost in following the javelin comps with the 5000m and HJ also going on at the same time,

And therein lies the reason why athletics is better watched on TV, well Eurosport at any rate. You can watch the event unfold. Less said about BBC coverage the better, even Johnson’s turned native.

Oh, and what is run vs walk??

Profile photo of larkim
    larkim
    Participant

Yes, I wondered that too. Given there’s only two entries on the start list, presumably they’ve got something like can Tom Bosworth walk a mile in the same time some other guy can cover 2000m or something along those lines.

On the “watch on TV”, even Eurosport couldn’t have coped with what I was seeing in the stadium – a gripping 5000m race, a world HJ final and a world javelin final simultaneously. At least in the stadium I had a fighting chance as the scoreboards on the infield could be glanced at – short of a “picture in picture” set up, even the best TV coverage is unlikely to keep me on top of that!

Profile photo of ursus
    Ursus
    Participant

Given there’s only two entries on the start list, presumably they’ve got something like can Tom Bosworth walk a mile in the same time some other guy can cover 2000m or something along those lines.

With that, mixed hammer and now The Meet, we’re really going down the T20 route for “generation gimmick and attention span of a gnat”. Be careful what we wish for.

I recall they tried to sex up the spear at Meadowbank years ago. Targets on the infield, illuminated runway. Wasn’t repeated. Hope to cling to.

Profile photo of paul
    paul
    Participant

Re TV, I agree with Larkim.
    Both the wHJ qualifying and final were super-exciting in the stadium. Coupled with the other events
    going on simultaneously it was almost (but not quite) too much excitement. Amazing.
    Then to go home and watch the hateful, sport-hating BBC coverage was in comparison a truly dreadful
    experience. Sitting on the BBC sofa they regularly have some of my favourite athletes of all time.
    But we have to listen to them doing what they think journalists should do,
    nattering archly, for hour after hour,
    while modern-day giants of sport like Sandra Perkovic, going at it live for all they are worth,
    are simply ignored. Colour me angry.
    (…As usual when it comes to the BBC. But I really think they excelled themselves in awfulness this time.)

Profile photo of occasionalhope
    OccasionalHope
    Participant

As there are one male and one female hammer thrower from each of three nations, Im guessing this is a kind of team competition where they combine the best throws from each nation.

Viewing 25 posts - 376 through 400 (of 418 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Product Reviews View All
Don't Miss
Videos
AW Offers