Athletics Weekly | 2017 outdoors - Athletics Weekly

2017 outdoors

This topic contains 417 replies, has 45 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of stevek26 SteveK26 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 351 through 375 (of 418 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of hayden
    Hayden
    Participant

9:37.94 for Lennie Waite in Gothenburg tonight, well inside the WC standard. Should be selected for London in the second wave now.

Profile photo of rununlimited
    RunUnlimited
    Participant

Thomas Rohler is NOT going to have it all his own way at the World Championship Javelin final…. because his fellow German Johannes Vetter is currently throwing like an absolute BEAST right now in damp and dreary looking Luzern. He has just thrown one of the longest throws in history in the third round, launching the spear out to 93.06m! And that is allied to the fact Vetter first two throws were also over 90 meters too!

Rohler is competing here as well and is trying his best to hang with his countryman but is still over 8 meters behind!

[Live Edit]

And in the next round, Vetter has now become the 2nd longest Javelin thrower in history, launching the spear beyond 94 meters! 94.44m! Amazing stuff!

• This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by Profile photo of rununlimited rununlimited.
    • This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by Profile photo of rununlimited rununlimited.
    Profile photo of ursus
    Ursus
    Participant

Excuse my French, but that’s bloody amazing. The best event on fire!!😁

Profile photo of philipo
    philipo
    Participant

Is that the best series ever I wonder

Profile photo of ursus
    Ursus
    Participant

Nope, Zelezny had 6 valid throws, 5 of which were 90+ in Stellenbosch in 1997. Best of 94.02, 92.30, 92.26, 91.44, 90.58 & a mere 87.62.

He was 30 at the time. Vetter is 24.

Profile photo of philipo
    philipo
    Participant

roll on the WC.

Profile photo of luckyspikes
    LuckySpikes
    Participant

90 metres? Pah! Those Germans spit in the face of 90 metres!

Delighted that my two favourite field events – Javelin and Pole Vault – are so exciting at the moment, in both men’s & women’s, with a lot of new faces making their mark.

There could be more good Javelin action this week in the U23 Champs with Kolak against 67m Tugsuz and, in the men’s, Kiriazis who threw 88m recently.

Profile photo of ursus
    Ursus
    Participant

90 metres? Pah! Those Germans spit in the face of 90 metres!

That’s just the four of them over 90 now. Vetter, Rohler, Henry and Hecht. A few years ago I thought De Zordo was going to be the man, whatever happened to him?

The scary one to watch is Marlon Henry. OK he’s only 3, but as the son of Mrs and Mrs Boris Henry he has star pedigree. (For the uninitiated Mrs Henry is Christina Obergfoll).

LuckySpikes
    Participant

That’s just the four of them over 90 now. Vetter, Rohler, Henry and Hecht. A few years ago I thought De Zordo was going to be the man, whatever happened to him?

The scary one to watch is Marlon Henry. OK he’s only 3, but as the son of Mrs and Mrs Boris Henry he has star pedigree. (For the uninitiated Mrs Henry is Christina Obergfoll).

Yeah, De Zordo was never the same after winning the Worlds. After a couple of years away I see he threw 76.89 last year. He’s still only 29.

Mr Henry is actually now Mr Obergfoll. Unusually, he took his wife’s name (and he now wears his baseball cap the ‘correct’ way round).

Profile photo of ursus
    Ursus
    Participant

Thanks Luckyspikes. A bloke of his age shouldn’t be wearing a baseball cap at all!

LuckySpikes
    Participant

Some big names going to Padova instead of Rabat on Sunday, including Laura Muir in the 1500.

Not the strongest of competition for Laura though – Kuria, Buckman, England and Dibaba The Lesser (Anna). Maybe she wants a dominant, confidence-boosting win or maybe the field isn’t as strong as she expected or perhaps the field has yet to fill out?

However, she’ll also be in Monaco racing Ayana & Obiri over 3000m!

I’ll post streaming links for Padova when I know them.

Profile photo of geoff
    geoff
    Participant

Isaac Makwala has run 43.92 for 400m followed by 19.77 for 200m!!!!

Profile photo of tk852
    TK852
    Participant

And a much improved Anyika Onuora ran a 51.81 400m and a 23.28 200m double. Certainly improves the GB relay team chances with Anny rounding into form

LuckySpikes
    Participant

Isaac Makwala has run 43.92 for 400m followed by 19.77 for 200m!!!!

It’s the first sub-44/sub-20 double on the same day (albeit at a bit of altitude in Madrid). He almost did it in 2015, doing a same-day 44.01/19.96 at Chaux-le-Fonds.

Profile photo of ladyloz
    Ladyloz
    Participant

Despite quick times he’s never done much at major champs. Not sure I see that changing this year but we’ll see. I think the medal he’ll most likely win is in the 4×4

Profile photo of philipo
    philipo
    Participant

Despite quick times he’s never done much at major champs. Not sure I see that changing this year but we’ll see. I think the medal he’ll most likely win is in the 4×4

It will be a surprise if the Botswana team do not medal in the long Relay.

Profile photo of treadwater1
    treadwater1
    Participant

Another NR from Holly Bradshaw 4.81 in Germany!

Profile photo of philipo
    philipo
    Participant

Wow, after her poor results of the last few times. That’s the PV for you…. but well done to HB anyway.She beat the German Ryzih who jumped 4.73.

Profile photo of marcus
    Marcus
    Participant

Does anybody know when startlists will be available for Loughborough LEAP or who is likely to be going? Thanks

Profile photo of mattrh17
    Mattrh17
    Participant

LEAP 2017

See the bottom of the page for the link for who is currently signed up.

Profile photo of trevorp
    trevorp
    Participant

Bradshaw’s vault seems to have been off a raised runway like the one at Manchester. And her absolute best remains the 4.87 from 2012, when she also had another six vaults at 4.70 or better. Just saying!

Profile photo of marcus
    Marcus
    Participant

LEAP 2017

<iframe class=”wp-embedded-content” sandbox=”allow-scripts” security=”restricted” style=”position: absolute; clip: rect(1px, 1px, 1px, 1px);” src=”http://loughboroughsport.com/leap/embed/#?secret=Ggl24qvLiB” data-secret=”Ggl24qvLiB” width=”500″ height=”282″ title=”“LEAP 2017” — Loughborough Sport” frameborder=”0″ marginwidth=”0″ marginheight=”0″ scrolling=”no”></iframe>

See the bottom of the page for the link for who is currently signed up.

Well, I’m an idiot, I even checked on that page before posting here! Thanks very much.

Profile photo of philipo
    philipo
    Participant

These competitions mean relatively little compared to the PV in London in the WC, when all the best will be there.
    No fancy runways there.
    Am I right that Lavillenie’s WR indoors was also off one of the special runways.

Profile photo of felix
    felix
    Participant

Laura Muir 4:05.01 at Citta di Padova 1st

Profile photo of paul
    paul
    Participant
Viewing 25 posts - 351 through 375 (of 418 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Product Reviews View All
Don't Miss
Videos
AW Offers