Athletics Weekly | 2017 European XC Championships, Sunday 10 December - Athletics Weekly

2017 European XC Championships, Sunday 10 December

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of luckyspikes LuckySpikes 5 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of luckyspikes
    LuckySpikes
    Participant

Looks like a strong British team selected for the event in Samorin, Slovakia.
    For the first time there will be a senior mixed relay of 4 legs.

Welcome back Emilia Gorecka to the GB vest! Surprise under-performances in the U20 trials race at Liverpool means there’s no places for Jemma Reekie or Amelia Quirk.

Profile photo of sidelined
    sidelined
    Participant

I don’t think the heavy conditions suited Gemma Reekie.

It’s going to be really interesting to see what Jess Judd and Amy-Eloise Neale – who had such a great run in the NCAA – can do against Klosterhalfen and Reh (and against each other). I’d expect Klosterhalfen to win, but Reh beat her in the German trials.

It’s excellent to see Emelia Gorecka returning so convincingly.

I was a bit surprised to see Charlotte Taylor on the team despite her sub-par performance at the trials. Perhaps she was jet-lagged and BA thought her US form justified her selection.

LuckySpikes
    Participant

I don’t think the heavy conditions suited Gemma Reekie.

It’s going to be really interesting to see what Jess Judd and Amy-Eloise Neale – who had such a great run in the NCAA – can do against Klosterhalfen and Reh (and against each other). I’d expect Klosterhalfen to win, but Reh beat her in the German trials.

It’s excellent to see Emelia Gorecka returning so convincingly.

I was a bit surprised to see Charlotte Taylor on the team despite her sub-par performance at the trials. Perhaps she was jet-lagged and BA thought her US form justified her selection.

Or maybe Charlotte Taylor was a bit fatigued from the NCAAs? Or she’d been celebrating San Francisco’s 2nd place a bit too hard with her team-mates?

There was some mild controversy on Twitter, led by Luke Gunn , that Katie Bingle (who’s come from nowhere) didn’t get the spot ahead of Charlotte for finishing 5th of the seniors in Liverpool. I’m in agreement with him that there needs to be more transparency regarding selection of NCAA athletes. Was Charlotte already promised a place for her performance in the NCAAs?

Yeah, the U23 race could be a cracker. But, it’s hard to bet against Klosterhalfen I think. She’s just a machine (despite her recent loss to Reh).

With Klosterhalfen & Moller both moving up to the U23, Harriet Knowles-Jones has a great chance to win gold after individual silver & bronze in the last 2 years. I see, however, that Delia Sclabas (SUI) is in the race too. She was 6th last year, aged just 16.

Final entries for the Championships have been published.

Profile photo of sovietvest
    sovietvest
    Participant

In terms of overall quality, the NCAA XC is on a par with the Euro U23s and not far of the Senior Euros. I think Taylor is a good selection and I’m sure jetlag and the hard races she had on 10/11 (Regionals) and 17/11 (Nationals) had a big affect on her performance in Liverpool. She’s quite likely to beat Neale – she only lost by two seconds to her at the NCAAs and beat her decisively the week before. We can’t afford to leave the NCAA 10,000m champion behind.

LuckySpikes
    Participant

Chuffed that Harriet Knowles-Jones got her gold. I always enjoy watching her run and she pulled away quite easily on the last lap. Lili Anna Toth of Hungary (hot favourite at the U20 Steeplechase this year but DNF) was 2nd.

A bit surprised that Reh beat Klosterhalfen again in the women’s U23. Very good run by Jess Judd for bronze but did she make a mistake in letting the Germans go after half a mile?

Quite an entertaining Men’s U23 race which was probably the most open of the day. Italy’s Crippa made a big bid for glory with a mile to go but the French hunted him down, sandwiching him in 1st, 2nd & 4th. Maybe France have some new talent to challenge at the distances? Also, a Finn finished in 9th. I’d love to see them being competitive again in the long distances, at least at European level.

Grateful for small mercies, only one of the Turkenyans featured at the sharp end of the senior women’s race this year. Great runs by Charlotte Taylor in 6th & Emilia Gorecka in 8th. Charlotte was just bumped from 4th place in the last 200m. Elena Burkard of Germany was the big surprise in 5th place (a team-mate of Charlotte at San Fran Uni).

Excellent runs by Andy Butchart & Ben Connor in 3rd & 6th respectively. A shame for Dewi Griffiths pulling up injured at the front of the race. Hope he’s ok.

Gold for GB in the Mixed Relay. The Czech Republic might have snatched it however if Holusa hadn’t appeared to settle for silver on the last leg.

In the other team races … Golds for all our women’s teams, Bronzes for the U23 & Senior men and 6th for our U20 men.

Unfortunately, it was another boring course (for the 3rd year in a row). Surely Slovakia has nice hilly or mountainous areas that would help showcase the country better? Apparently Tilburg are promising a proper XC course for next year though.

Profile photo of stevek26
    SteveK26
    Participant

I enjoyed the early morning entertainment, but agree that it wasn’t cross country!
    Stupid little speed bumps and a frozen puddle they called a water jump! Why bother with them?

The only thing this had in common with the cross country I used to run was that it looked cold.

Profile photo of craigj
    craigj
    Participant

I enjoyed Hannah England’s commentary. Bubbly, no waffle and seemed very natural. First time out and she was immediately better than quite a few of the regulars who have doing it for years. There really is no correlation between a great athlete and a great pundit, you’re either good at it or you’re not

LuckySpikes
    Participant

I enjoyed Hannah England’s commentary. Bubbly, no waffle and seemed very natural. First time out and she was immediately better than quite a few of the regulars who have doing it for years. There really is no correlation between a great athlete and a great pundit, you’re either good at it or you’re not

Agreed. I hope they’ll ‘groom’ her to replace Paula and her croaky whispering. It’s a forlorn hope though, I fear.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by Profile photo of luckyspikes luckyspikes.
    Profile photo of sidelined
    sidelined
    Participant

There’s an interesting view here from a Kenyan, Justin Lagat, on the exporting of Kenyan athletes to other countries. He’s basically saying that if people in other professions can switch nationalities in the search for work, then why can’t athletes?

http://www.runblogrun.com/2017/12/understanding-the-plight-of-professional-athletes-with-east-african-origin-and-why-they-seek-to-repr.html?utm_content=buffer48cb5&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer#.WjIXg6rOsVo.buffer

LuckySpikes
    Participant

There’s an interesting view here from a Kenyan, Justin Lagat, on the exporting of Kenyan athletes to other countries. He’s basically saying that if people in other professions can switch nationalities in the search for work, then why can’t athletes?

http://www.runblogrun.com/2017/12/understanding-the-plight-of-professional-athletes-with-east-african-origin-and-why-they-seek-to-repr.html?utm_content=buffer48cb5&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer#.WjIXg6rOsVo.buffer

I think his analogy is weak. Yes, many people do move to another country to work but a lot don’t take up the citizenship of that country. And if they do take up citizenship it’s after satisfying strict residency rules. The athletes transferring to Turkey, Bahrain etc have been fast-tracked throught that system and (if we’re to believe what we’ve read about some of the ‘Turkish’ athletes) some of them have barely even visited the country, preferring instead to return to Kenya after races to live and train there.

This is what people find so egregious, especially at a continental championship level. If these athletes were only changing nationalities after being resident in their new countries for 5 or 7 years then people wouldn’t have such a big problem with the issue. But then, countries like Turkey & Bahrain wouldn’t take the risk paying them big bucks on the chance they’re still going to be good 5 or more years down the line.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Product Reviews View All
Don't Miss
Videos
AW Offers