Athletics Weekly | 2008 retests - Athletics Weekly

2008 retests

This topic contains 14 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of occasionalhope OccasionalHope 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of occasionalhope
    OccasionalHope
    Participant

A few more big names have been found positive:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/38017277

https://apnews.com/291eb8313d56457fa07fe0f5d3115c99

Not particularly surprised by Slesarenko or Devetzi, if only because of their nationalities.

Profile photo of craigj
    craigj
    Participant

Overshadowed by the news about Bolt losing his relay medal but seems Lebedeva is the latest to fail a retest from Beijing. Anyone surprised? Set to lose her two silvers and probably her silver from Berlin the following year too. With Devetzi already busted that’s 2 of the top 3 now DQ’d from the TJ. Unfortunately most of her winning came prior to Beijing so gets to keep a lot of tainted medals

Profile photo of ursus
    Ursus
    Participant

There really ought to be a much shorter limitation on this. Medals being redistributed 9 years down the track just makes a mockery of the whole sport. And in some respects that’s more important than sorting out individual cases.

Probably the most telling line in those articles was “There could be another U.S. medal for high jumper Chaunte Lowe, who originally finished sixth but is now in line to inherit bronze”. Ridiculous.

Anyone have any figures on how many athletics medalists have been caught in majors from say, 2004?

OccasionalHope
    Participant

I disagree – the longer cheats have to fear getting caught out by improved tests has to be a disincentive to some degree.

Profile photo of craigj
    craigj
    Participant

I was recently watching some old videos from the 2000’s and it was astonishing how many of the medal winning performances were by athletes who failed tests at one time or another. It really has ruined my enjoyment of the sport, you simply can’t believe what you see anymore. I see Cakir is free to run again, believe it or not! 2 failed tests, embarrasses the sport on the biggest stage and she could line up in London again later this year, an utter disgrace.

The medals may eventually end up in the correct hands but its all too little, too late and you end up with athletes like Lebedeva who loses some minor medals but gets to keep all her others. Chicherova is another, loses her bronze from Beijing but unless she gets popped for 2011 or 2012 will get to keep her golds, tainted as they may be. All a bit of a farce I’m afraid.

It’s very sad to think that an athlete like Bronwyn Thompson will never get a medal from Athens, when she was the rightful winner. Take away the 3 Russians, plus Marion Jones, and Jade Johnson would have got the bronze, she’s also robbed of a European title, a world bronze from 2003 and should be probably be bumped up to at least 4th in Beijing.

Regarding the 2008 retests, are there any more to come? I always hoped one, or both, of the Ukrainians ahead of Lisa Dobriskey would get busted. Tobias was definitely a cheat and I think she was coached by Lishchynska’s husband. I imagine a medal in the post would be very bittersweet for her anyway, it was one of her misjudged efforts, and she knew it, she really should have won at least the silver

• This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by Profile photo of craigj craigj.
    Profile photo of larkim
    larkim
    Participant

Put long lasting doping impacts on the shelf marked “Jury is out on whether this has a significant effect or not, especially when coupled with a long period of absence from competition”, and you end up with a situation where if Cakir is on the start line clean then she is there on merit.

(In general I’m in the “lifetime ban” mindset, but recognising ‘the rules are what the rules are’ today, I’d rather see rehabilitated athletes back on the start line on merit after serving their time according to the rules in place than simply discard their potential talent completely.)

As for athletes being “definitely a cheat”, whilst your nose may be correct (particularly in the light of her 2 year ban!), sadly tagging people as cheats when there is no direct evidence of cheating leads to internet forums full of people accusing anyone they like and using whatever “evidence” they can find to “prove” their case, even if their case is full of flaws and their evidence falls significantly short of credibility. See for example furious debates about Paula R, Mo, Rupp, Bolt etc. One man’s clean athlete is another’s 100% dead cert cheater.

The current situation with re-tests and retrospective action isn’t good. But its better than not taking action at all.

Profile photo of iain
    Iain
    Participant

Looks like Jo Pavey will be getting a world bronze from 2007, as Elvan Abeylegesse is disqualified.

Profile photo of ursus
    Ursus
    Participant

10 years! Be interesting to see what her reaction is to it, what it actually means to her.

Interesting philosophical question for anyone who’s awarded a medal under these circumstances. Their rival cheated, got caught, got punished and they inherit the medal, that’s the way it works. But in the dead of night I wonder if any of them ever question whether the disqualified athlete was simply better than them regardless and that all the juice did was serve to increase the margin between them?

Profile photo of stevek26
    SteveK26
    Participant

I don’t think the athlete would consider the cheat to be better than them.

More likely Jo will be gutted that she never got to stand on the rostrum. So she was still ‘cheated’ whatever happens now. Its just not the same to get the accolade 10 years on.

Profile photo of stefan
    Stefan
    Participant

So these will be the new medalists (women’s 1500 metres, 2012 Summer Olympics):

1. Maryam Yusuf Jamal BAH
    2. Tatyana Tomashova RUS
    3. Abeba Aregawi ETH

Aregawi would give Ethiopia a medal… Not that I care as a Swede. Everybody here knows why she represents Sweden: no trouble with visas and to never have to compete against the best Ethiopians to get a spot on their team at the Worlds and Olympics. She doesn’t live here and doesn’t speak our language.

And Tomashova gets a medal in her first global championship after drug ban.

And “Maryam Yusuf Jamal”, a bought athlete, gives the Saudi puppet state Bahrain a glorious gold medal.

Seems about right.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by Profile photo of stefan stefan.
    OccasionalHope
    Participant

Kelly Sotherton will be upgraded to bronze following a positive test on Tatyana Chernova’s 2008 sample. Not a huge surprise, but retrospective congrats to Kelly.

Profile photo of ursus
    Ursus
    Participant

The mixed range of emojis she used when breaking the news on twitter say it all.

Profile photo of camerajuan
    camerajuan
    Participant

Chernova, did anyone believe she was clean ever?!

I bet her Nan was watching back in Motherland screaming at the TV “Vein spiking borshvik!”.

OccasionalHope
    Participant

2013 world champs women’s 4×4: Russians stripped of their gold (and Krivoshapka of her individual bronze plus 2 year ban to 2018), British girls upgraded to silver.

http://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1049703/iaaf-strips-russia-of-2013-world-championship-gold-in-womens-4x400m-relay

OccasionalHope
    Participant

Not from 2008, but another ban for Lupu. What a surprise, surely more evidence that we need to have life bans for the first offence.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Product Reviews View All
Don't Miss
Videos
AW Offers