Returning after a broken foot to secure world 4x100m silver and a 200m fourth-place is more than the British record-holder says she could have hoped for
Mo Farah to miss Sainsbury’s Glasgow Grand PrixJuly 8, 2014
Double world and Olympic champion withdraws from 2 mile event due to illness
Mo Farah has pulled out of the Sainsbury’s Glasgow Grand Prix this weekend where he was due to race over two miles.
The management team of the double world and Olympic champion has advised that Farah has been forced to withdraw due to illness, having been hospitalised with abdominal pains for a couple of days last week.
Farah’s appearance at the Grand Prix event, which forms part of the Diamond League series, would have been his first on the track in front of a home crowd in 2014.
“Sorry to everyone in Scotland but I won’t be able to make it there this week,” he said in a statement.
“I hope to resume training in the next few days and aim to run in the London Anniversary Games on July 20 and then the Commonwealth Games the following week.”
The 31-year-old made a winning return to track action last month when he clocked 13:23.42 for 5000m victory at the low-key Portland Track Festival. This followed his marathon debut in London in April.
Farah is now undergoing further tests with the British Athletics medical team but hopes to compete in the 2 mile event at the Anniversary Games before the Commonwealth Games where he is due to run both the 5000m and 10,000m.