Former world 400m champion has accepted findings of failed test results and waived her right to a hearing before the Commonwealth Games Federation court
Mo Farah to miss Commonwealth GamesJuly 24, 2014
Double world and Olympic champion has withdrawn from Glasgow 2014 as he focuses on returning to full fitness for European Championships
Mo Farah will not compete at the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow as he works to return to full fitness for the European Championships in Zurich.
The double world and Olympic champion had been due to run both the 5000m and 10,000m at the Games, at which athletics action gets underway on Sunday.
But he was hospitalised with abdominal pains in the US at the beginning of this month and although he has returned to training at his base in Font Romeu he has said that the Commonwealth Games come too soon in terms of his recovery.
“I have taken the tough decision to withdraw from the Commonwealth Games,” Farah said.
“The sickness I had two weeks ago was a big setback for me.
“Training is getting better here in Font Romeu but I need another few weeks to get back to the level I was at in 2012 and 2013.
“I really wanted to add the Commonwealth titles to my Olympic and World Championships but the event is coming a few weeks too soon for me as my body is telling me it’s not ready to race yet. Best wishes to my fellow athletes in Glasgow.”
Farah’s illness also forced him to withdraw from the Glasgow Grand Prix and London Anniversary Games events earlier this month where he had hoped to compete over two miles.
He is entered for both the 5000m and 10,000m events in Zurich.
On Farah’s withdrawal, Team England chef de mission Jan Paterson commented: “It is a real blow for any athlete to miss out on a major championships through injury, but to have fought so hard to regain full fitness and to have to take such a difficult decision at this stage is particularly hard.
“We wish Mo all the very best and hope to see him back to his peak very soon.”