Former world 400m champion has accepted findings of failed test results and waived her right to a hearing before the Commonwealth Games Federation court
Mo Farah keen to compete at Commonwealth GamesMay 12, 2014
Double world and Olympic champion announces his intentions on Twitter, though says distance is yet to be decided
Mo Farah has voiced his intentions to compete at this summer’s Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, though says he is yet to decide on the event.
The double world and Olympic champion announced the news via Twitter on the same day that a final 100,000 tickets for the Games were released.
“Hi guys! I will be running in the Commonwealth Games this year..!! See you in Glasgow..!! Shabba….!!” Farah tweeted, before adding: “Haven’t decided which events to compete in Commonwealth Games yet… 1500m/5000m/10,000m ?? Will let you know as soon as I decide…!!”
The 31-year-old made his marathon debut in London in April, breaking the English record with 2:08:21 for eighth, and will return to road action at the Bupa London 10,000 on May 25.
Farah had previously spoken about only competing in the Games after assessing his fitness and speed following his debut over 26.2 miles.
He had already announced that he would be competing in Glasgow at least once this year on the track, having confirmed his participation at July’s Sainsbury’s Glasgow Grand Prix back in March. The distance he will compete over at that meeting is also yet to be announced.
Despite his Olympic and world titles, Farah has not yet won a Commonwealth medal. He finished ninth in the 5000m at the 2006 Commonwealth Games in Melbourne but withdrew from the team for the Delhi 2010 event.
This year’s Games will take place from July 23 to August 3, with track and field action taking place at Hampden Park.
Athletics tickets were included in the 100,000 made available on Monday, with Glasgow 2014 organisers issuing a statement three hours after the final batch of tickets went on sale on a first-come first-served basis at 10am describing “unprecedented demand”.
“Today’s general ticket sale has generated unprecedented demand and with this the call centre and website is understandably very busy and there are queues in place to manage this,” read the statement.
“We are also dealing with reports from some customers of errors within the ticket selection and purchase process.
“We would like to assure customers that we are processing ticket sales as quickly as we can and advise customers to keep trying.
“We thank everyone for their patience and apologise to those who have experienced issues.”