Veronica Campbell-Brown cleared by Court of Arbitration for Sport

Jamaican sprinter who tested positive for a banned diuretic last May is free to return to competition

Campbell-Brown

Three-time Olympic gold medallist Veronica Campbell-Brown has been cleared to compete by the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS).

The Jamaican sprinter tested positive for a banned diuretic at the Jamaica Invitational in Kingston last May and later received a public warning from the Jamaica Athletics Administrative Association (JAAA). Reports at the time stated that the disciplinary panel ruled she “did not use the prohibited substance for performance enhancement”. The banned substance is said to have been in a cream that the sprinter was using on a leg injury, which had been declared on her doping control form.

But on Monday, The Telegraph reported how Campbell-Brown had won an appeal over a “secretly imposed two-year doping ban”, which it says was ordered by the International Association of Athletics Federation (IAAF) two weeks ago but was not made public, leaving her free to return to competition.

In a statement released by her management company OnTrack Management on Monday Campbell-Brown commented: “The final court available to us as athletes have spoken and humbly I say they have confirmed my innocence.

“I harbor too much self-respect and a similar respect for the purity of competition to resort to illegal means to success,” the 31-year-old continued.

Campbell-Brown won two Olympic golds at the 2004 Games in Athens in the 200m and 4x100m relay, retaining her individual title in Beijing four years later. She has also won nine outdoor World Championships medals and two world indoor 60m golds, with her next target said to be retaining her indoor crown in Poland in March having missed last year’s World Championships in Moscow following her positive test.

“I lost out on the opportunity to compete for most of 2013 and the chance to defend my World 200m title, however, I press on,” said Campbell-Brown.

In a statement, the IAAF said: “The IAAF was made aware earlier today of the CAS judgment but has not received the full reasoned decision and therefore will not make any comments about the decision at this stage,” going on to confirm that Campbell-Brown is now free to compete.

Leave a Reply