Oscar Pistorius withdraws from races

Six-time Paralympic gold medallist withdrawn from races and reports made of banned steroids found at the athlete’s home

Oscar Pistorius (Mark Shearman)

Oscar Pistorius has withdrawn from future race appearances, with the athlete’s managing agent Peet Van Zyl commenting Pistoruis’ “key focus is defending himself against this serious charge”.

The 26-year-old South African Paralympic and Olympic athlete was arrested and charged with the murder of his girlfriend, model Reeva Steenkamp, last Thursday, and is due back in court on Tuesday.

Recent reports also indicate that this “serious charge” could become even more complex, as steroids are said to have been found at the athlete’s home, along with a cricket bat covered in blood.

City Press have said police insisted that the athlete’s blood be tested for any foreign substances “in anticipation of a possible argument that he experienced “roid rage” – extremely aggressive behaviour associated with taking large doses of steroids”, while a source told The Sun: “Steroid drugs were found at Pistorius’s home together with evidence of heavy drinking. That’s why police have specifically ordered that he be tested for steroids.”

The events Pistorius has withdrawn from include the Manchester Great CityGames in May where he was set to compete against Britain’s Jonnie Peacock, who took gold ahead of Pistorius in the T44 100m at London 2012, in a 150m race.

“I have decided that following these tragic events that we have no option but to cancel all future races that Oscar Pistorius had been contracted to compete in, to allow Oscar to concentrate on the upcoming legal proceedings and to help and support all those involved as they try to come to terms with this very difficult and distressing situation,” said Van Zyl in a statement.

Other appearances cancelled include Pistorius’ season openers in Australia, with the athlete due to compete in Qantas Tour races in Sydney on March 9 and Perth on March 16.

He was also due to take part in a race against Alan Oliveira, the athlete who controversially beat Pistorius to claim 200m gold at London 2012, in Rio de Janeiro on March 31 to help promote the 2016 Olympics and Paralympics.

Regarding sponsors and partners, Van Zyl’s statement continued to say: “I can confirm that at this point in time, all parties are supportive and their contractual commitments are maintained. They have said they are happy to let the legal process takes its course before making any change in their position.”

Leave a Reply